Tree blinds

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by JuvieCoot, Oct 24, 2018.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Well in situations like that I wouldn't call it lovemaking, times like that are more like the single days of getting busy. Just imagine the stories you could tell your kids about where they were conceived, in the CO hole at the Colusa refuge.:l:l:l

2. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Hey now, how did you know that?

callinfowl likes this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

4. CORONA 1

CORONA 1 Senior Refuge Member

And how is this done with blind 1, 2, 4, and 5?

5. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Same as they did in 15/16, 22/23. 30 minutes on Google earth could create 4 sweet ponds. Add some signs and common sense and you'd have it. Would you rather sit in the treefort called number 1 and shoot spoonies or slide over and hide in the tules to the west and shoot mallards? 4 used to be awesome with a huge tule clump to hide in. Haven't hunted it since it became a treefort. Just my opinion which doesn't count. Nice to see it is nice and green this year, should help.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Steel tanks and concrete blinds are not easy to hide... You generally need an island or levee to put them on, and if not put in correctly, they stand out like... Well a cement pit in the middle of a pond.

And a "brushed-up" blind still stands out, especially in a natural (open-water) marsh with tules or hay piled on. I've seen guys pile on all kinds of inappropriate cover that does not match the surroundings... I have seen blinds covered in Christmas tree cuttings... Yep, the cuttings hid the actual blind, but it still stood out like a Christmas Tree in the middle of the marsh.

I have hunted my share of blinds in natural marshes, and have only seen a handful that were well-hidden (or even could be). And, the vast majority of hunters think that they become magically invisible in a pit blind, and most hunters sit too high and move around far too much. My biggest blind sin is looking up at the exact wrong time and "pie-facing" birds.

And when birds do not come in good range, a goodly percentage of hunters start taking them at marginal range (which I and most on here have admittedly been guilty of at one time or another)… And more and more, if birds do not come into marginal range, there are plenty that will start shooting at "hope-&-prayer" range....

I do not believe that pit blinds are the answer to this issue...

Phytoplankton and 7pntail like this.
  7. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

I think the biggest challenge with ALL blinds are the people in them. I have seen so many poorly concealed blinds flat out get dive bombed while empty. Add hunters, and the birds avoid them like the plaque. I think many hunters get busted WAY before they ever see the birds. The hunter that "gets down" when he sees an opportunity more than likely flared 10 other birds he never saw.

8. Whackemnstackem

Whackemnstackem Refuge Member

We hunted one last year on the opener. I thought it could be a bad situation if the hunters were smokers....lol

9. Whackemnstackem

Whackemnstackem Refuge Member

We hunted one last year on the opener. I thought it could be a bad situation if the hunters were smokers....lol

10. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

can I help...you get a visual...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squaller and freefall like this.