Tree blinds

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by JuvieCoot, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Powder

Powder Elite Refuge Member

It’s a platform blind and boat hide with the brush all grown up, and trees next to it. The shooting holes have to be trimmed out.

Sweatliner likes this.
  2. skinnyspoonie

skinnyspoonie Elite Refuge Member

Sweatliner likes this.
  3. skinnyspoonie

skinnyspoonie Elite Refuge Member

DJI_0036.JPG DJI_0036.JPG

In the process of being trimmed and tied down

Sweatliner likes this.
  4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Well done :tu

5. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

6. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Is that a tree blind?

7. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I'm envious of those that have the ability to control their water levels and timing. Couple that with the ability to use equipment to plant & mow and it's a recipe for success if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

8. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Happens a lot...

The other day I was hunting barrel blinds, I was out setting some decoys and I hear the two guys I'm with squealing like a couple school girls... I'm thinking what the hell.. so a walk over and they are pointing...RATTLE SNAKE !! I look in the blind and see a well feed gopher snake...little guy, so I jump in, they are still stepping back saying becareful... and I pin his head with a stick pick him up and take over to land...

Rattlesnake...:l:l:l:l
    I'm still laughing...it can happen thou, because with all this new flooded water and dry islands

IMG_9253.JPG

Russnutt209 and freefall like this.
  9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Barrel blinds are probably the best choice for most open-water situations in the grasslands...

I have seen a few hunters struggle with shooting from ground-level binds, and I feel it must be a perception issue... And also the issue of lifting the gun up and over the blind to mount the gun??? I have hunted with juniors and adults who have struggled in odd ways... Such as spinning around in circles to shoot, or consistently passing "gimme" shots cause "it was no good..."

Personally, I find shooting from a pit far easier than shooting from the tules… I can turn and set my feet according to where the birds are coming into, and I have firm footing when I stand... I can hang my calls from the edge of the blind instead of my neck (and not get all hung up)... I hunt the tules a lot, and I am far more frequently "twisted up" when shooting, cause I find it far more difficult to get my foot position set according to the shot. And standing in cold water all morning takes its toll as well (although that has not been an issue for several years).

freefall likes this.
  10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Before my back got jacked up, I would have taken standing in tules over most blinds.
    Not because I shot better because anyone that has hunted with me knows I can't shoot even on level ground. :nutz
    I like hunting the tules because I can hide like a ninja in them and move to the X spot to be in the best place for the day.
    I personally like a good above ground blind these days, easy to get in and out of and a overhang to get under when the birds a working straight above.

11. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Looks like there may have been a mouse or two in there with him (at least there used to be). Well fed for sure.