Trumps Infrastructure plan Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by 10GAGENUT, Feb 13, 2018.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I live on a gravel road and the nearest 4 lane is 52 miles away, what’s traffic.

Bear, hobbydog and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

We are not talking about just Amtrak here. We are referring to real people movers in urban areas. Amtrak covers the entire country and isn’t used as a dedicated people mover in urban areas.

The population is continuing to expand and we can’t just stick our heads in the sand about it. Hence why we have the issues we have.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. buck_master_2001

@Bear How many hours a day dunyou spend in traffic seeing our congestion issues on a daily basis?

4. buck_master_2001

My state has been tearing out traffic lights and implementing roundabouts all over the place. It’s probably the greatest thing they’ve done in a long long time. They are so much more efficient. About damn time they take a clue from the rest of the world and start using them.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

How many times a day do you think knowing I'm in bed 22/24 hours a day? We 've discussed this before

We have people movers here. It's called buses and metrorail.

Works just fine if you don't mind paying the additional taxes every year in sales tax plus paying to ride.

It's there...it's available but unless you're willing to force people to ride it many don't. We have the Park and Rides...the HOV lanes...the taxi and limosine subsidized for certain people.

Etc.

How many people are going to ride that don't ride now unless they are forced to? Of course we can build more to be subsidized more...forever more.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

That brings us to the fundamental issue... Who pays the program operating costs? Users? Tax payers? Most fundamentally, is there such a thing as a mass transit program that can survive without subsidy? The transit systems that I've used (WDC, LA, SF, SD, etc) have low usage fairs and considering that there is almost no policing for whether fairs have been paid, one feels like a chump for even paying the fair in the first place.

7. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

For some intersections and high use roads they make sense. However putting them in places of low use doesn't make sense. I hate many of them locally because they are to small and snow removal equipment cannot properly navigate them to keep them safe. They instead get compacted and iced over until equipment small enough to clean them can get there. We hit almost 30 today with sun. Had to go through one of them and almost got stuck with the van because of the ruts from the compacted snow. This in a year when we are way behind on snow but when we have it the wind blows it into them something fierce!

They are also a very dangerous thing to traverse with a motorcycle!

Others properly sized are good and while I never thought much of them to start I am getting more and more to liking them.

8. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    I believe that the only line that shows a profit is the Washington-NY line.

9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Regardless if anyone rides it here you're taxed everytime you spend a dollar. There's a song in there somewhere..."Every dollar you make...every dollar you spend...I'll be taxing you."

API and Luigi Daniele like this.
  10. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Could be. My experience is with various "local" commuter metros that primarily move intra population centers. The user benefits for me are low (subsidized) cost and elimination of destination parking issues. An offsetting user negative is rubbing shoulders with the system users from great unwashed population segment. Nothing is all good.

Luigi Daniele likes this.