Trumps Infrastructure plan Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by 10GAGENUT, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...r-rail-is-a-monument-to-government-waste/amp/

The project opened amid a storm of controversy, thanks to construction issues that, according to Politifact.com, escalated the final tab from $90 million to $148 million--$140 million for construction plus $8 million for loan interest on the trains. In the opening months, the line received just 800 riders per weekday. This has since risen to 2,900 passenger trips per weekday, or about 1,500 riders, but that still is just .075% of
    the metro population, which sits above 2 million. The line accounts for 2.6% of Austin's transit ridership, while using 8.5% of the annual operating expenses for transit.

Each trip taken on the rail costs taxpayers dearly, according to data provided by Capitol Metro. In 2014, the rail line had an operating deficit of $12.6 million. The upfront capital costs of $140 million, when amortized at 2% over 30 years, creates an additional $6.2 million annual cost to taxpayers. Add these two sums up, and then divide them by the line’s number of annual unlinked trips—763,551—and the per-trip subsidy works out to $24.62. Another commentator estimated that this figure is $18, compared to $3 for every bus boarding. Jim Skaggs, the retired CEO of Tracor and a local rail skeptic, wrote on his blog that "each average daily, week-day, round trip rider is subsidized an average of about $10,000 per year."

My highlights to emphasize the cost stupidity.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Bear likes this.
  3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Yep...a liberal democrat town even the other liberal democrat towns think is weird.

The cities motto is...Keep Austin Weird. I'm serious.

Houston's and Dallas metro ain't far behind but I've shown the independent facts from competent sources as opposed to conjectured opinion.

API likes this.
  4. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Awww Bear you went and did it again!!!! Man I would think that some of the liberals would get tired of your buckets of cold ice water you continual dump on them. On my phone today and linking stuff is a pain. Local group opposed to the park boards expansion of walking paths bike paths along with bike lanes hired a firm to do monitoring of current established paths and lanes. Study was suppose to run for a month and the city tried to shut them down saying they didn't have permits to do this. They failed and the results where staggering. Bike lanes cost vary but the average is about $130,000.00 per mile in the study the city used. This accounts for widening of current streets to accommodate the needed 6ft buffer, some have went to as narrow as 5ft but risk factors increase substantially. Costs can be as low as $5000.00 if all that is needed is restriping.

The point is that these amount in our area a feel good proposal and doesn't warrant the cost when one looks at the use especially since our use season is short an special equipment is required to maintain a safe surface when winter conditions occur as well as added costs.

This ties well into the idea of mass transit, the proponents sell the ideal that people will flock to it for use. Not wanting to hassle with parking and costs and the savings from reduced expenses for the vehicle. But lifestyles dictate that most people simply don't have practiacla use for it. Johnny has soccer after school or the evening and commuting on a bus or train makes getting him to the practice or game impractical. Same for a lot of other activities that people have in their lives!

Much of this was sold as a way to cut down on carbon but it is an expense that tax payers are now paying a lot more attention to and rejecting!

Our local study on a stretch of 2.26 miles that cost the city upfront almost $800.000.00 with purchase of private property to make that lane saw on average 13 riders a day. City disputed that so they commissioned their own study and it matched and on top of that use declined when weather turned cold. Falling to no use in winter!

Now perhaps there are areas where these lanes have good use and justification and help with congestion as well. I don't know!

Bear likes this.
  5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Yep...$800,000 here a $million over here then a $billion more over there...over and over and pretty soon you're talking some real money. :yes

10GAGENUT likes this.
  6. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Anyway I'm done for the evening. Y'all discuss among yourselves and I'll see y'all later. Play nice while I'm gone or no chocolate mousse for desert.

Oh...and learn to love the bomb. We killed more than several Russians last week in Syria.

7. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Why are you only talking about government transportation? Who even said that? You insinuated that. Again, I don’t expect you to know these kinds of problems because you don’t experience them so you don’t think there’s an issue.

8. buck_master_2001

People ride bikes in NoDak? Is there lots of highway congestion in Fargo?

Mass transit in America is mainly used in huge urban areas like NYC and other such places where it’s needed and needs expansion. Can you imagine if it didn’t exist? Driving there already blows and it would be that much worse.

80% of our population lives in urban areas even though roughly 97% of our land mass is rural.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. Matagorda Bound

Matagorda Bound Senior Refuge Member

DONALD TRUMP is the perfect exemplar of the modern Republican Party. No principles but worrying about what people do in the bedroom and where they go to wee. Money? Who cares. We are going to jack the deficit to the highest levels in the history of the country just China and India's economies start to dominate world trade and decide that they don't need dollars anymore...

You remember reading about the whole Roman Empire - that ruled all of the world known to Europe - the greatest achevement in the history of the world - just started to overextend itself? How could a people with such great expertise and wisdom and organization not see the obvious? Well take a look around, it's happening right now.

10. buck_master_2001

We have around 15” of snow on the ground in which most of that fell since Friday. Our roundabouts are as clear as can be.