Tule Seat/Dog Stand

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Real Green, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

Has anyone come up with something that can pull double duty?

It amazes me how difficult it is to stay light and mobile on the refuge. These two items seem to be a big portion of the weight and bulk. It would be nice to cut it in half next year.

2. Drifly

Drifly Senior Refuge Member

Hi RG,

I’ve been using a table like this for years. I make them out of plywood and pvc pipe. This year I’ve hunted with 2 dogs on occasion so l built 2 different tables. The one I uses every day is a little longer and narrower with an aluminum bottom for extra strength. You can build one for about $25 to start with and make modifications over time. I’ve been using the same basic design for about 15 years. It’s big enough that both my dog and I use the same stand to sit on. Here’s a few pictures to demonstrate my design.

Yesterday in the marsh
    D37E8C20-8162-4C64-ABB4-B54E6D9D4CDF.jpeg
    Two dog tables fit in my cart
    CF2EE99E-280B-4CB7-9DD4-3E539789FDB8.jpeg
    2x2x3/4” plywood square with 1 1/2” pvc legs
    55F204F1-61AE-49C9-8D81-2EF172589B8D.jpeg
    This is Willow my hunting partner
    2E4556EF-6C77-4E9D-94E6-051356C5BCEA.jpeg
    It’s strong enough for both of us to sit on.
    9E2570D4-197A-4E41-AAA5-07BB33D4D5CD.jpeg
    It was difficult taking a selfie but I think you get the idea. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. Good luck with your search.

Drifly

partyfowl and Real Green like this.
  3. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I had a Tule seat blow out (one of the crappy pot metal avery models) one morning and shared my dogs Sportstand. Wasn’t the most comfortable seat but worked in a pinch.

Buddy of mine had a dog stand custom built out of aluminum for two dogs that would easily work for what your looking for.

Real Green likes this.
  4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I could be wrong, but I would think it difficult to hide something big enough for both you and the dog to sit on... The whole idea of hunting in the tules for me is hiding (myself and the dog). Plus, when hunting the tules I do not use the "Mutt-Muffs" on the dog, and I do not like the idea of shooting that close to the dog with no hearing protection on. I suppose if I were shooting so close I would use the hearing protection for the dog though...

I use a shower bench from Walmart and remove the backrest... Put my dog tub on top (which can be used to drag the stand in), and the dog lays down with a cover, and tules piled on top of that. Ducks might see me, but not the dog. Both the cordura cover and the tules help to keep the dog warm and hidden.

I had someone make me an aluminum tule stand which probably weighs all of 1.5 lbs... Dog stand is 3-4lbs (and totally adjustable for height but not collapsible).

5. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

0D206FD3-FAB4-45D8-9B07-D59F3EAA91A8.png I made one that will hide both. Did a few hunts with me and him on it. I prefer to hunt a bit away from the dog so just used it as a dog stand after that It’s a portable crapper with the seat removed. Just cut in plywood top and paint it up. Made a pvc frame and zip tied mesh to that. Wired some cover to it and when you get to the pond just pick cover and add it.

Once you start looking you’ll see them for free all over. If you go that route. Independent, adjustable legs and lightweight. Legs will sink in mud so a couple of pvc 90’s on the legs with a cross brace keeps it from sinking

Dan Mallia likes this.
  6. SpoonySmacker

SpoonySmacker Senior Refuge Member

A1BF6573-B092-48A5-A0D8-A6C1B8B0079C.jpeg
    Invisilab for the win! Best investment this year. As you can see, the dog finds it comfortable. Next year I’m buying some grass bundles to zip tie to it for quick set up. And I actually have a cabelas folding dove chair I put inside the invisilab when I pack in/our. Works perfect.

partyfowl likes this.
  7. Drake Slayer

Drake Slayer Elite Refuge Member

Somewhere standing in stinky water cussing my damn
    I've shared my dogs Sportsstand as well. Though I will highly recommend you check the rivets that hold the legs to the top if your stand is well over 10 years like mine. Had one pop due to rust when I was hunting Tule a couple of years ago. A drill some hand tools and 8 stainless steel screws made the stand good as new.

8. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Here is one for triple duty...you can sit on it, dog can sit on it, or lift the lid for the third dooty.

thumbnail.jpg

apollo455 and SpoonySmacker like this.
  9. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

I built almost the exact same stand. It's bullet-proof and not too heavy.

10. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

If you don't have a sled to float the stand out, all of the commercially made units are probably a bit heavy and bulky to carry. I have used the momarsh stand without the blind on it for several years and like it. Spoonies picture with the totally camoed cover is nice, but put me in the column of not believing a dog sitting still on a stand flares ducks. I'd rather have her see what's going on and help me watch for birds than buried in a hut. I have one for field goose shooting as that is a different situation. Squallers idea of the shower stand with a tub on top is a good one. I stole it a bit years ago and keep a mortar tub in my decoy bag at all times. Picture having the flat side against your back and the decoys piled in it. The beauty is when empty, the dog hops in it and knows it is their spot to sit be it on ground, in the tules in shallow water or wherever. Takes very little time to train your dog, at least for a Golden. You lab guys are on your own:l
    20181219_140609.jpg

SpoonySmacker likes this.