Turkeys 2019

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by Shirleyshusband, Mar 18, 2019.

1. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

The Turkeys were gobbling like crazy this morning. At least ten different turkeys in all quadrants.

Finally at 06:08 this morning three hens came out from the woods with a Tom following them. These were the same ones I scouted last night. Basically they went to the same corn field. The hens walked by and I let the Tom get to 57 yards and flipped him over. He was just following his hens and not coming towards the decoys.

View from where he was dropped like a rock.

9DF5B192-2E58-4401-81EB-C3E737DAEE96.jpeg

B7BD2E67-0BE7-4795-8909-DF99DD57073F.jpeg

I’m 95% sure this was the same turkey from the mentor hunt (pictured in previous post) that hung around.

2. msuhunter

msuhunter Senior Refuge Member

I agree with the gobbling this morning, sat till 9:30 and they were still gobbling but had no interest in my calls. Around 7:30 I heard a hen real close to me but it took off. 10 minutes later I found out why, a wolf came by circle my decoy and crotched 25yds from me eyeing my decoy. The wolf started sneaking in then stood erect on all 4's looking right at me. I just watched as he then turned attacked my decoy and ran back from where he had come. So no Turkey but a neat view of wolf, it was almost a cream color and pretty big. It's coat was shedding as it looked a little shaggy. Of course I left my phone at home but not sure I could have got a picture as he would have run as soon as I moved.

Shirleyshusband likes this.
  3. msuhunter

msuhunter Senior Refuge Member

Crouched, not my best spelling day.

4. killin'dux

killin'dux Refuge Member

"Turkey hunting is hard, until it's easy."
    I dont know who said this first, but it is the truth. A good friend of mine came down to hunt this weekend and we got one killed this morning. We heard lots of gobbles on the roost but the tom's didn't want to play once they hit the ground. I'm assuming they were with hens. Around 10:15 at our 3rd set up, this guy came in and met his maker. Grant County

20190511_104335.jpg

5. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Senior Refuge Member

Got my first turkey this morning. Nice jake. Had a tad over 7 inch beard. No spurs

Attached Files:

6. Grand Passage

Grand Passage Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

You sure that’s not a bearded hen? Any more pictures?

7. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

It’s definitely a bearded hen. Jakes will have a nub of a spur and 4 center tail feathers longer than the rest. Hens have that blue-ish grey head as well. Dominant hens will strut if you had a hen decoy out.

8. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

And nice bearded goosenazi disguise! :l:l:l

Ratboy likes this.
  9. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Yes

I agree.

10. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Senior Refuge Member

I think you guys might be right.

Attached Files: