Two battery system

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Rubberhead, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

The two identical items on the left are ignition protected fuses (one for each battery) that are made for use around gas fumes. The red box is nothing more than a switch that turns the system on and off but also allows the two batteries to be combined for additional starting current. The black box next to it is the brains of the system. When the motor is running and the alternator is working the black box connects the two batteries so that both the starting battery and the house (electronics) battery are charged. When the motor is off, the black box opens so that the electronic/lights/bilge pump/etc. are running only off of the house battery so there is no load on the starting battery.

2. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I have installed the dual battery switch in the last 4 boats I built... we go out late winter in new England and 2 batteries are the way to go..... so I love the dual battery switch, but the way things go bad in the salt water, I don't think id ever want my boat to have its own "brain"..... Ill use mine and take my chances..... keep it simple..... Ive got the onboard charger, but that doesn't come into play until its plugged in to an extension cord.. tinned wire 100%.....heat shrink with glue inside terminals..... don't tear the plastic with the wrong style crimp tool either!.....an over coat of heat shrink tubing also is used......... clamp everything down so you don't "work" the wires with flexing action!

3. Rubberhead

I've had the same thing on a single engine 22' WA boat that I used offshore. I would start the motor and combine the batteries when I left the dock in the morning and switch to one battery or the other (I tried to alternate them) once I got to the first reef. The rest of the day I had confidence that I had at least one fresh, fully-charged starting battery on board.

This system is not much different. The only differences is that the switching is automatic and their is a designated Starting battery and designated house battery.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

With all the compact jumping batteries on the market today, this seems like overkill.

5. Rubberhead

This is not about having something in an emergency - it's about not having the emergency in the first place. So, it's not overkill.

6. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I have one of those jumping battery packs... and Ive seen friends with some as well...they are all junk..... you have to keep them charging when not in use and then you've got toremember to get it and put it in the boat, and then take it out again afterwards.... they are fine for riding in the back of the truck kinda...but not the boat... then you've got poor connections with chintzy clamps........ you do the over kill thing ONCE and its done..its a clean system and it doesn't need maintenance...... it is the way to go... plus you can kill any draw on the battery you might not know about..... by turning the switch OFF...........I guess you really need to have had both to appreciate which one is best

7. theduckguru

Two batteries in a “small boat” are over kill. Get an older two stroke with magnetos.

8. Rubberhead

Nope, they're not. It's not the size of the boat but the length of the run that matters.

Besides, I used to carry two gas tanks when I hunted with a 2-stroke - I make very long runs. I did think about adding a pull-start to the F20 but as it stands now it takes a lot of work to get to the flywheel and manually start the motor. And, it would have cost a lot more.

But you are from Ohio so I'm sure you know everything.

9. theduckguru

Hunted a of big water, never needed a all that crap.

10. Rubberhead

Yet.