Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Union County

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by dnj21, Dec 4, 2018.

1. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

Just curious , with it being Feb. 13th . And with all the snow and cold weather the last few weeks up north . Did any large amounts of Canada's ever come down ? AND YES I understand Union doesn't hold birds like the good old days .

2. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

Never made it that far south. Snow line quit just about Springfield.

3. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

4. mikek55

mikek55 Refuge Member

I did hear ducks made it after the season

5. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

mike55 - you am correct sir. Place I hunt is 5 miles north of Union County. The ducks showed up Sat. Jan 19th in that 40mph NW wind. Knocked the poop out of them that day but it was shoot one duck and make sure it was dead then wait for the next bunch. Pintails galore. Sunday nobody killed any. Ducks sat on their butts and rested. Then I called my friend at the end of the week. He said they were covered up in ducks all week. Not in season but tons of ducks !!

6. DarrenDuck

DarrenDuck Senior Refuge Member

From my observation hunting south of Union County - I would say the same thing. Birds moved all day on Saturday during the blizzard. (On Friday they stopped at 7:30 - and there weren't that many) Mallards and Pintails. Definitely a push on the wind and storm. Don't know about Sunday because it was 20 out and we decided to go home instead of killing ourselves on the icy roads. Saw dozens of cars and semis in the ditch driving back north. Glad some ducks made it to So IL!!!!

7. mikek55

mikek55 Refuge Member

We hunted thrs& fri 1 mallard headed back home instead of taking our chances on 57 lol . Glad we did heard it was a nightmare. + side we shot a 4 man limit of geese at home Sunday

8. DarrenDuck

DarrenDuck Senior Refuge Member

Yeah Mike - we hunted Friday and it shut down by 7:30. We went scouting and drove around Alexander, Pulaski and Union counties and saw very few birds. Even in the refuge! The storm of wind, rain, sleet and show did push them down and there were groups flying all day. It was great to see but the conditions were really tough!!!

mikek55 likes this.
  9. mikek55

mikek55 Refuge Member

We hunted 24 Friday 22 shot a bird that 21 shot tall and that was pretty much it ! O well maybe next year will be better