Using sock decoys?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by DWB5, Sep 12, 2017.

1. DWB5

DWB5 Refuge Member

I have just really started getting into to goose hunting on dry fields the past couple of years. I have 7 full body's (+8 more if my buddy goes with me) 8 floaters that I use as shells and 10 silhouettes. I was wondering about buying some sock decoys. They are cheaper and easier to carry in. Do you all think it would hurting anything by mixing in 1 or 2 doz. socks in with what I have?

2. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

3. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I've never hunted over Canada socks but in all the videos I've watched over the years, it doesn't seem to me that Canada's truly finish to them. Maybe it's where the camera is in the spread or the angle while filming that makes it look that way but I can't say I've seen a video where they're putting their feet down 15feet in front of the blinds.

4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I mix full bodies, silos and socks. Don't be worried about mixing. Be where the birds want to be and hide well. Spend more time making sure your hidden well is more important than the decoys in my opinion.

The socks and silos I use are White Rocks. Every year I add more and one day I may completely wean myself from FB's. Its a hard habit to break.

5. DWB5

DWB5 Refuge Member

Thanks everybody. I was looking at the White Rocks. That or the ones I think they are called shilo socks. Its just hard for me to pay $120-$200 for 4 decoys. Its crazy how much they want for decoys these days. And I know I'm beating a dead horse when I say that.lol

6. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

We have found it's a mindset vs reality. So many years of guys testifying you can only kill them close with FB makes a guys want to believe that's the only way. Check out at 2:21 this is late season and these birds had been hunted hard. Its more about the hide, weather and set up than fancy decoys.

As a side note I hunted with this clown in ND once that put out giant orange traffic cones to direct the geese away from parts of the field. Then when the first flock only got to 30yds he told me the decoys flared them. One day with him was enough....

ArmChair Biologist and CNWD like this.
  7. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I've had plenty of Canada geese finish into socks. I have about 120 sillo socks. 3 dozen are the Tim Grounds black and white's, 2 dozen are sun faded Canada feeders that I spray painted black and white, 2 dozen are 3D heads up canadas, and the rest are feeders with the silhouette head.

I usually run the tim grounds furthest up wind then run the spray painted black and whites in with my black and white silhouettes. I then run my fullbodys and the rest of my socks furthest downwind. The geese either finish in the hole or really want to finish in the silhouettes but can't find a place to land. The only problem I've had with socks is they can move too much and the birds don't seem to like it. If it's windy just angle the decoy so the butt of the decoy touches the ground to mute this movement.

I will say this. I regret that I bought 2 dozen of the 3D headed decoys. They're a pain to bag and a pain to pick up compared to the silhouette headed feeders. Sock decoys are for numbers and convenience and that takes away from it. I personally wouldn't buy many with the full body heads. I seem to decoy just as many geese as I did before I bought the sentry's.

8. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Agree! They look good but are a pain. I have some of the White Rock silo's with the 3d head (don't believe they sell them anymore) and they don't stack well.

9. DWB5

DWB5 Refuge Member

Do you need a lot of head up decoys?Or just enough to put on the outsides of the spreads?

10. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

You don't need allot of them. I would go with a dozen for every hundred just for ease of use if you're going with sillosocks since the feeders have the silhouette heads. You can only grab about a dozen of the full body head type at a time but you can grab 3 dozen feeders at a time easy. To be completely honest I don't even know if it matters as long as your whole spread isn't heads up. I've shot geese over spreads that are 50% heads up and spreads where 95% are feeders.

DWB5 likes this.