Using zip ties on decoys for gang line

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by FOWL BALL, Nov 3, 2018.

1. FOWL BALL

FOWL BALL Senior Refuge Member

running a big spread on lines this year that will sit out all season. Being on a budget can you loop the mainline every 4 feet or so and zip tie the decoy to it ? I know just looking for people that have done this and see if it will hold all season or will tie break.

Thanks

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Depends on the size of the ziptie

3. WYtransplant

WYtransplant Senior Refuge Member

If sitting out all season just tie them off (bulk paracord if you are looking for cheap). The only reason to add drops and clips is if you and picking up putting out when you get a tangled mess makes it much easier to deal with. Or if you want to make adjustments to the lines (change out decoys etc). Tie loops in main line at distance you want and then tie droppers directly to the loop.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

depends on a few things, size of decoys and the current/waves action/wind and the size of the zip tie. Standard size 8" zip tie will not hold a large decoy in heavy wave action. I zip tie my longline clips right to my standard size decoys and have had a few break and I don't leave my decoys out all season. If you insist on using zip ties, use 2 per decoy.

5. Duck Wrangler

Duck Wrangler Senior Refuge Member

I have some burlapped foam scoter decoys that I do that to with no problems.
    They are standard size decoys(not super mag) and I go about every three years before replacing the ties(I use a 8" black tie)