UTV suggestions

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by KAHunter, Aug 15, 2018.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Years ago we bought a very used and abused F 250 from a municipal auction for $900, late 1970s model. The truck ran but definitely wasn't a beauty queen, we hauled a lot of hunters, deer and supplies to make stands in and out of the woods for years with that truck.
    Way to go for very little money.

2. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

The other nice thing with a used truck for this is that it doesn't have to pass inspection. A lot of times you can get a great deal on a used truck that won't pass. With this, there's no registration($), so no inspection($) and no insurance($$). Exhaust goes bad? Who cares. Lights not working? So what. Nothing to nickel and dime you to death. You can buy a great truck with an "inspection problem" for very short money.

tcc likes this.
  3. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

We have a Cub Cadet geared for work and hauling. It is 8 years old and other than a battery it has been flawless but I wish we had went with the Can Am instead. Dealer dropped carrying them and now I don't have easy access to parts as most cub cadet dealers are only into mowers and small tractors.

Buddy has Can Am and also Polaris on his ranch, puts tracts on them which reduces travel speed. Replaced an old pickup and Jeep with them. His point was they are lighter, can go in conditions a pickup would get stuck. Says ease of entry is better than the Jeep which helps his father a lot who is 78. They ice fish a good deal as well and use them for this purpose as well.

They have two areas which they do habitat and food plot planting. Said the UTV has made accessing and maintaining easier than the Jeep ever did. I am amazed at how much I use it and have made a few insert attachments or racks for the bed and bought a boom sprayer as well. Water tank I made works well for watering trees that we have planted. Small Jeep might work but a pickup definitely would not!

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I like the old truck idea too. I like the utv's and they certainly have their place, but good lord they're expensive for what you get.
    A truck may not fit his needs though, there are things s utv does better.

5. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    We went with the John Deere Gator. It does what the rest do and have had no problems at all for the last 5 yrs.
    Main thing is that the John Deere dealer is 4 miles away if we need anything.

Me & Maggs..........

6. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

BIL bought a used Swamp Fox couple years ago for deer hunting. It's basically a beefed up camo 4x4 golf cart, similar to a Bad Boy Buggy. Works great going in and out of the woods, quiet, no exhaust smell etc. Think he paid 3K or so for it. He's been very happy with it.

7. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I’m getting ready to list this in the next few days. It will go anywhere and it has a heater.
    127E5B61-E98E-4461-A39B-C471AE52AD01.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    hyper23 and tcc like this.
  8. teal21

teal21 Senior Refuge Member

Find your local United Rentals or Sunbelt location, they are always selling used equipment. I bought this 2 seater for around $ 4000 with less than 900 hours on it. Installed camo on the hood and sides and built an aluminum rack to go in the bed. I can carry 5 doz goose decoys in bags and have a 20" light bar on the front and back for setting up and cleaning up decoys.

Attached Files:

9. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I have a Polaris (06) that I bought used about 4 years ago and love it. Nothing but change the oil. I live in Polaris country so haven’t been around many different machines. A friend in Indiana sold his Kawasaki mule
    and replaced it with a Polaris. He said the Kawasaki was under powered. Not sure the specifics of what size machine he had.

10. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Regular mules are underpowered as hell. Its what my employer buys. The fxt are an entirely different machine.