Vitage style carving

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Billy Bob, May 13, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

That old school profile with the feather detail makes for a unique combination and personal touch. :tu

2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Junker?, you got it. Fun? I like to think I had fun with it. Pic to share? Well, embarrassing as it is....
    Your thread made me think of this guy, who I had to go searching for as its been a long, long time since I've seen it.
    This was circa 1985 at the age of 12 or 13.
    The body was made of a landscaping timber, head from a pine 2x4 as I recall, and the bill from an old style clothes pin.
    He's pretty much the extent of my carving career.

20180630_140616.jpg

MJ1657, rhpierce, Dean Nelson and 2 others like this.
  3. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder Refuge Member

WHUP!Hen, interesting the connection you have to the James Ford Bell lodge. That's kind of where I got my inspiration back in 1969. I was invited to look around a little before I started my own research project sponsored by Delta (Al Hochbaum as my advisor) ; and I peaked in the decoy shed to behold probably close to 1000 hand carved decoys, mostly by Duncan. I had to meet the man, after which I was hooked.

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Al Hochbaum used to attend the Minnesota Decoy for many years. He always had a variety of Canadian decoys on his bed, unfortunately he left his good birds at home. Tragically his wife passed away at the Minnesota show and his participation in the show waned. As I remember is was a big man and a constant cigarette smoker, and also liked Moosehead beer.

5. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder Refuge Member

I didn't get to know Al Hochbaum very well as after only at couple days at Delta I headed over to Minnedosa to do my project in the pothole country. Al was a talented guy as evident in his coffee table-top book - " To Ride the Wind" and of course his pioneering book "Canvasback on a Prairie Marsh". However he was wrong about the cause of the big duck decline of the 60s. He was blaming it on over hunting (which obviously wasn't helping). What my project showed (and what Jerry Stoudt was emphasizing for years) was the real culprits were the combination of more intensive farming which reduced the amount of nesting cover and the increase in meso-predators (mainly raccoons, skunks, red fox and crows) which was caused by more available habitat (especially the large number of abandoned farmsteads) and the drop off in trapping effort by farm kids and others. I only found 7% nesting success and band returns by hunters from a very large number of banded mallards weren't especially high.

At any rate, it was easy to fall in love with that prairie pothole country and the lore of duck hunting/decoy carving.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

I made a few similar to that when I was about the same age. I should dig them up and float them this season. Thanks for reminding me of them. :tu

7. CraigS

CraigS Senior Refuge Member

8. CraigS

CraigS Senior Refuge Member

9. Billy Bob

Nice work! :clap :tu

10. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

He doesnt have a keel on him, but I've already told myself to put one on and let him float, at least just once, this duck season.....just because.
    Post a pic or two of what you made from "way back when".