Wader repair

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bulldogeverett, Oct 23, 2012.

1. bulldogeverett

bulldogeverett Senior Refuge Member

I have a pair of neoprene waders I'm not quite ready to give up on (sorry, I'm cheap). While walking out of a spot last year, I stepped over a pile of busted up concrete and planted my wader boot squarely onto a piece of rebar sticking out. The hole went clear through the rubber boot on the inside just above the ankle. I patched them using a kit from Frog Toggs and they worked fine the rest of the season. This last weekend during youth season, they started leakin again. I'm sure it's through the patch job I made last year, as I was only wet from the ankle down.

Wondering what's your best recommendations for patching waders?

2. swamp gunner

swamp gunner Senior Refuge Member

Give gorilla glue a try its fixed many a wader boot for me.

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Aqua Seal worked for me.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I 'used' to also recommend Shoe Goo, since that is what I have used in the past, and it has worked well.

I had some dry rot on the top of the boot, where it flexes, I noticed after my first few hunts. Put some goo and some nylon netting to cover, as has been my SOP in the past. Due to the flex point, it didn't hold very well. It held, but the edges were coming up, so I didn't know for how long.

I have never knocked A/S, just never used it. Well, I bought some, along with a rubber patch kit. Put it over the spot, and it has held like iron for 3 hunts. It seems to be thinner than goo, spreads easier, and bonds better.

Aqua Seal from now on.

Bulldog,
    The key is some type of patch. IMO, just a liquid style adhesive on a flex point is not enough. It would be for sealing a seam. Most anything can be used as a patch. I used some tight weave nylon netting, bout 1/16 weave. Lay on the A/S, lay the patch over it, and make sure it is saturated. Let dry for the full 24 hours. You can also find rubber patch kits at major sporting goods stores. Put that on first, then the A/S WITH the netting patch over. Just to be sure.

Gorilla Glue, IMO, is totally wrong for waders. It doesn't flex.

5. Talleyquacker

Talleyquacker Elite Refuge Member

May have to try Aqua-seal myself, I have also always used Shoe-goo with good results. So if A/S is better I will be giving it a go on some rubber boots that I found a small leak in this past weekend, not even a year old yet either.

6. Capt. Cormorant

Capt. Cormorant Elite Refuge Member

After you open a tube of aqua seal and use it. Put the cap back on and keep it in the freezer. It will keep forever!:reader

7. Reverend Colt

Reverend Colt Elite Refuge Member

I stepped on a sharp stub where beavers had chewed through a sapling the second time I wore these. Ripped a big hole in the shape of an L. I used a tire patch and they have never leaked. Can't remember if I used shoo goo or rubber cement though.

Attached Files:

mister gadwall likes this.
  8. nailbender

nailbender Refuge Member

Tire patch on the boot bottom and shoe glue on inside

Get REAL clean and DRY b4 patching :tu

Fowler267 likes this.
  9. bulldogeverett

bulldogeverett Senior Refuge Member

I appreciate your advice. Looks like I got a couple good options. I'm going to start with using aqua seal over, around and on top of my existing patch. I got a little pond not far from my house I can test them out fairly quickly after its cured.

10. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

X2

The fiber glass mesh used for dry wall works well for reinforcing for many flexible glues.