Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

Water, Water Everywhere!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by Clayton, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

BF929197-2913-4021-B17C-7B5BF3C4B9EE.png

mister gadwall likes this.
  2. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

yes...there in lies the answer

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Just came back from west TN and can attest to the amount of water, everywhere. Where we were, both the Obion and Mississippi were coming out. HUGE fields full of water but not many ducks.

4. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

River rising is nothing new this time of year, but it's the amount of sheet water in fields that don't flood that has the birds scattered. That and the fact that there is still not daytime lows below freezing for any stretch beyond a day or two to the far north. These 2 things combined make for a not so good season if you don't have the time to put in to scouting. If you look, you can find them. May have to go out of your normal range, but they are around.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Spent several days in those bottoms in the last week. There are ducks, but you have to really work to get under them. The good thing is, the river is making them move around. The bad thing is, the river is making them move.

6. GUNNERX2

So true. My son & I hunted Fri, Sat & Sun and saw a goodly number of ducks. Had a good hunt Friday in the rain then Sat & Sun the field we were hunting was almost void of birds. Saw a lot of big bunches of pintails moving north out of the Obion bottoms near Finnley.

7. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Sandhill cranes in east TN are migrating back north. We may at least see new birds in the form of a reverse migration.

8. GUNNERX2

My son & I hunted west TN last weekend and on Sunday we saw numerous big flights of pintails up high and traveling north. Same with snow geese.

bill cooksey likes this.