Waterfowl Camo

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by TurkeyGuyPA, Feb 10, 2019.

1. HONKEREXTREME

HONKEREXTREME Senior Refuge Member

We did an experiment with Camo. We used natgear, max 4, shadowgrass, Sitka optifade marsh and real tree. We set up almost by a bean field in CRP grass where we hunt. One of us went back a few hundred yards. The Sitka marsh Camo and natgear were hands down the best to blend in where we hunt. The other Camo patterns looks like a very dark spot that stood out.

Like I said this applies to where we hunt.

2. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Marketing pure and simple.
    Product pics posted do,do a great job of showing how well that particular pattern does blend in with those cherry picked surroundings.
    But really how many are laying out on the ground to really get the benefit of that pattern in that environment ?
    When the majority hunt from pits,panel blinds,a-frames,box blinds,that the pattern is totally hidden behind.

Amazing the old timers killed anything in that red/black plaid,earthtoned canvas get ups back then.
    Marketing.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Good experiment, good info.

I was wearing head to foot ASAT, including face mask, sitting on a hill overlooking a small 50 yard bowl, in AZ. We were elk hunting, and I was waiting for Dad and his partner to meet there. I was sitting down, zero cover between me and then. Just sitting on an open rock hill.

When they showed up, they were close enough I could hear the conversation. They figured I was either lost, or just late. Couple of times each of them scanned the bowl, and looked directly at me. They never saw me till I moved.

I was convinced that day ASAT was the best overall pattern out there, to fit in all conditions. The large breaks in the color are the key. I don't have much of it anymore, outgrew it, and none of the large clothing makers use it. First Light does, but you pay as much or more than for Sitka, which is already a pretty penny.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2019-2-11_8-46-50.jpeg

The Navy used the concept back in WWII (maybe even earlier) Large pattern breaks up the outline, even (or even better) at long distances.

All that said, if you don't move, or silhouette yourself, almost anything will work.

4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Camo is overrated. I would invest in a panel blind, chicken wire or something to make a blind before I would a camo for every situation. My first five years of hunting I used my deer hunting stuff and just made good blinds.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Because they both worked so well that they kept you from searching for better patterns and spending more money.

6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

KW-1 is what I really like for corn or grass.

7. isu22andy

isu22andy Refuge Member

Glad to see another ASAT user. Use it for everything. Half my sitka brained friends dont get it . I can see them 1/4 mile away looks like a black green blob, not ASAT .

8. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Staying still is the best

9. TurkeyGuyPA

TurkeyGuyPA Refuge Member

So much great information and informed perspective, thanks everybody!

HONKEREXTREME likes this.
  10. Jjm

Jjm Refuge Member

Sitting still and not looking straight up are the most important things. I shoot more birds with my coats/jackets hanging on a hook in the blind or over the boat seat.
    More often than not once in the blind or put the blind up on the boat I end up taking my coat off.
    All that $$ on multiple coats and patterns, and I don’t even wear it half the time.