Waterfowl gun

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Apr 15, 2018.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

What does everyone shoot and their likes and dislikes on it? I have been using a Versamax for 3 years and functionally it has been flawless. I am disappointed with the fit and finish of the gun though. Front bead isn't quite pressed in all the way, I had to file the shell latch and get an aftermarket follower to make loading the mag tube easier. I have also had issues with it swelling chokes factory and aftermarket. Thinking of upgrading. I really try to buy stuff made in the USA but all Remington's I've held lately just have poor quality control. Held a Beretta A400 today and it shouldered really nice. Fit and finish was excellent compared to the VM on the shelf. Beretta was about $300 more. So let me know what you shoot and your opinion on it.

2. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Auto 5 and Super X2. Switch back and forth between them through the season depending on where I'm hunting and what I like about them is NO major issues in over a decade.

3. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

agn1.jpg

pud123, woodiefanatic and SB2MAG like this.
  4. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

SBE2 and 20 ga. M2 for me. I've never had guns fit me as well as those 2. Being a lefty, I was a bit limited in the semi auto departent but I truly feel right or left handed, they are what I would have chosen. Function wise, after 10 years of heavy use (no idea how many rounds) the SBE2 went back to Benelli just last week for FTF problems that I believe are caused by a gouge in the ramp where the extractor rides on. Causes the bolt head to not rotate as it should. Hoping I don't get raped too bad on fixing it but at this point I have no reason to believe I won't be using it for the next 10+ years once it returns.

5. threadkiller

threadkiller Elite Refuge Member

I love my M2 20 gauge. I also wouldn’t hesitate to get a Franchi affinity. My son shoots one and it’s been flawless.

6. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

7. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Versamax is my go to, but I leave the extension on it so it’s reduced to 3-4 cases a year. V3 has been my go to during regular season. I almost never shoot my Benellis due to recoil. SX4 is a cheaply made gun. A300 is decent but can be fickle if not cleaned properly. Stoeger 3500 a lot of recoil, but decent lower end gun. Looking at picking up an A400 in .28 but I hate front safeties and haven’t been able to justify the price tag.

8. malford

malford Senior Refuge Member

Franchi Affinity I got 2 years ago is great, first semi after 40 years with an 870

9. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

Browning Gold. I've abused this gun for years and she keeps on working great!
    Not a gun to carry for the day but if you want a gun that can double as a pry bar it will work..

10. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

870 pump wingmaster modified choke pre 80's smooth as the day is long. Downside it is blued with walnut stock. So it is now just a pheasant gun on nice weather day. Mossberg 835 ulti mag. Reliable but action much stiffer than the ole 870.