Waving the white flag

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by KSFowler, Dec 5, 2018.

1. KSFowler

KSFowler New Member

I surrender! It seems I’m one step behind all year. Have found decent concentrations of birds that are always opposite of where I am! I see them use one side of a cove or one place in the creek and get all set up and they land where I was at before. They also seem call and decoy shy. Or I will get one pass just out of range and then poof gone. Only success I’ve had is kamikaze singles or pairs that come out of nowhere. Same old story they have zero issue locking up when I adjusting the spread.

Sorry for the rant just frustrated! I’ll keep after it and one day will be nothing but flaps down landing gear deployed locked in and I can’t wait!!

2. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

I feel your pain. I mainly target dark geese but will go after ducks when the opportunity is there. This has been the worst start to a season for geese that I’ve had in probably 20 years. About the only good thing that’s happened is of my goose fields ended up with a large water hole that provided some decent duck action until the blizzard storm. The goose situation has me baffled. Places that normally hold good numbers of darks are either holding nothing or a mass of fricken snows. I’ve noticed this has gotten worse over the last several years. I guess those damn things have pushed the darks to other places. Lots of season left but right now the hunting around my parts isn’t worth a crap.

KSFowler likes this.
  3. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

I’m not raising the white flag, just yet. But agree this season has been chock full of challenges. Sept and October flooding wiped out most of our food. We pushed some dirt in an old/favored duck marsh and so far, this place has been devoid of ducks.

Central KS had good numbers of teal/early migrants, up until the blizzard week. Now left with scattered (and relatively low) #’s of Mallard. We’ve had plenty of sheet water to compete with – but, now some of that is turning hard.

The tough days help me appreciate the hum dingers.

KSFowler likes this.
  4. KSFowler

KSFowler New Member

You're not kidding! I think back to the days I've had when the birds read the script. We had a decent number of both mallards and geese but with this last cold snap it seems as though most of the ducks left. Heck we killed a pintail last weekend! I agree it is just a weird year so far. I have hunted public and private with the same results. It will happen and like you said it will make it that much better when it does.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I agree 100% with all the posts above: a most unusual season so far. KSFowler's OP could have been written word-for-word by me and been accurate. The first three weeks of the regular season were normal, then it all went to pot. Even today, I scouted for six hours, (two refuges, plus several private areas) and what few birds I saw are all but unhuntable. All the intel I can get from my usual sources say pretty much the same thing; even when you do find birds, they know what the deal is.
    I'm rapidly running out of time before I am forced to chalk this one up as the season of fewest days hunted, fewest birds/day, and fewest total birds period.

At least my "cripples lost" numbers are WAY down.....

KSFowler and Ramblingman like this.
  6. bandcollector

bandcollector Elite Refuge Member

I've had a slow start due to some personal stuff. It is surprising to hear the issues considering we had a good deal of water this year. I would expect to hear more of this type thing during the years we were in drought.

KSFowler likes this.
  7. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

Another weather related factor that hasn’t been favorable is the wind...both speed and direction. It seems it’s either blowing too hard or not enough. There have been way too many days with winds under 10 mph. There also have been very few south wind days which are generally better for my setup. Maybe the reverse migration later in the season will bring better results. Until then I guess I’ll get used to sleeping in.

Tuleman, KSFowler and Ramblingman like this.
  8. KSFowler

KSFowler New Member

Well hate that everyone is having the same issues, but makes me feel better in a way to know I’m not the only one. I’ve never had this many issues getting birds to work a little bit. I am about to get with my buddies who goose hunt and see if the fields are any better. I’ve worked pretty hard this year fellas hunting from McPherson to Neosho and everything in between. I’m not giving up but with the weather we have now everything will be locked up until next weekend.

On the bright side I’m headed to Oklahoma next weekend to private lands and hope my lack of success won’t follow over state lines!

Keep an eye in the sky boys!

9. Ducky73

Ducky73 Senior Refuge Member

Care to share your numbers? I'm especially interested in the cripples lost number. My goal is to go a year with 0 lost cripples. So far only lost two this season. My best season was about 6 years ago when I lost 0 ducks, 0 geese, and 1 stupid common merg on the last day of the year that busted my dream for a 0 lost for an entire year! I wish more people kept track of their lost bird numbers. Maybe then people would be a bit more thoughtful about their shot selection.

10. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

That's unreal! I hunt about 50 to 60 days a season. Consider myself to be ethical and take great satisfaction in getting birds to land. That said, I have days where I am just off my A game. Shooting poorly, taking a shot I shouldn't, or just flat out desperation shot here or there. I also track my cripples and it's higher than I would care to admit. How many times do you whiff on the first 2 shots and take an ill-advised 3rd shot?

I bet the ACTUAL crippled bird count is staggering!