Waxed cotton

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Greenhead Rocker, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

id love to try a Filson but just can't afford it right now. So I'm looking into the Halo Waterfowl version(American made) and the Avery Heritage wading coat. Priced similarly, but I don't know much about either.

Anyone have any experience with either or both of these?

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Spend the money up front and get a Barbour. It will last you a lifetime.

bullpinnie and mmayes like this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Don't know anything about the two you mentioned but have seen some Duxbak stuff recently that looked pretty solid.

bullpinnie likes this.
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Get a Filson, it will last you your lifetime and your kids and grandkids.....then someone's wife will clean out the closet one day.....

hobbydog, WHUP ! Hen and Rogue Hunter like this.
  5. 3labman

3labman Senior Refuge Member

20 years ago I wanted a Barbour but couldn't afford it at the time so I got a Filson Waterfowler jacket. When it wears out I'll get a Barbour.

newduk likes this.
  6. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I think the Filson coats are going for $650??? I researched last summer.
    A lot of money!! Only reason i researched is my Filson wax coat is about wore out. Pockets have the bottoms wore out and where the cuffs attach on arms is letting in water due to holes.
    They do not last a lifetime if worn 60-70 days a year for 21 years. I’ve gone through 3 shotguns at same value in that time frame.
    After owning one, I couldn’t imagine taking a chance on a “lesser” wax coat.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

60 to 70 days a year for 21 years, hard hunting conditions....And just now needing replacement? Send it back to Filson for replacement pockets and hole
    reconditioning. :joker:tu

8. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

callinfowl likes this.
  9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I do love me some waxed cotton, Especially, barbour. I have 3 barbour jackets going back nearly 30 years. I've sent the oldest one back twice to be reconditioned ( new liner, cuffs, and wax). still looks great, and has lots of classic character. I wear a babaour coat or vest for dress most days in the winter.

You can can good a good deal if you go to the orvis sale site. they'll run them another 25% off the sale price about once a quarter.

10. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for that. Never even thought about that. We have a big Filson store in Portland. I’ve bet I’ve lost a box of shells last season. Kept forgetting about the holes in the pockets!
    Love that coat.