We all gonna die.....

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by H20DAD, Jan 5, 2018.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

South Florida or Texas. Or even south LA, especially SW part of the state. There’s thousands of them.

It’s kinda funny, because the guys that shoot lots of teal and mottled ducks just wanna shoot mallards, but the guys that shoot mallards wanna shoot teal and mottled ducks. I guess people always want what they can’t have.

Pastor, buck_master_2001 and GUNNERX2 like this.
  2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

There are tons of blue winged teal down here.

I don’t care about mallets. Wouldn’t mind a drake can once a year.
    But all I want to shoot is mottled ducks and black belly whistling ducks.

I do ok.....
    90DA2AB5-0ED7-41EA-B8BE-2C5FF000C761.jpeg

3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Mottled ducks are the genius of the marsh (at least where I hunt). We don’t see near that many whistling ducks, but I understand why you like them. They are dumb as rocks and taste good.

4. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

That’s why most days I just want to kill a duck.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

You know bbwd are like Canada geese more than any other bird.

When Canadas are new to an area they die pretty easily but residents unless you are on the x can be a pain.

I've found that you hunt bbwd like geese and they die pretty easily but I've killed so many the last few years that they are getting very weary in my area.

6. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Now that's what I'm talking about! I won't pass up a mallard but shooting ducks I see in neighborhood ponds doesn't excite me. I'd much rather shoot wigeon, gadwall, pintails and teal. Everybody seems to get all worked up over black ducks, I've killed a pile of them. Nothing special to me save for the occasional band and only $100 reward I've gotten, they have a bad tendency for worms too.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’ve shot exactly one black duck. I’ve only ever had a shot at one black duck. All depends on the location. They used to be pretty thick in spots in N. AL. Most of those spots that are accessible no longer hold them. Habitat changed from corn farms to sod. They never came back. Just like folks in some places used to think a wood duck was a few shots in a lifetime duck. It’s our local regular, like a Black is part of a typical East Coast limit.

8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yep I know, we are blessed (or cursed) with them. I use to laugh at the DU shows when the whole show was about killing one or two black ducks. Same with swan, guys come from all over the country to shoot one and most years it's just a matter of when I want to kill one.

9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Went out two weeks ago on Saturday to do some ice fishing. Spent 5 hours outdoors. Temp was 37 as well...........excuse me, -37, and then it was -40, and with windchill it was -52.
    I had to put my long johns on that day. Layered up properly, had the -85 boots on, was careful not to get hands wet, and ran a heater in a little tent to warm up once in awhile.
    Cold is relative, and it should only bother you if you don't dress properly.

10. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

Here a gadwall or teal is no biggie, but a black duck goes on the wall. Same for canvasbacks.