Week 1

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Swampfoot, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

Any luck out there? Went twice, struck out day one and got a mottled day two.

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I’m waiting on duckmanjr to report so I can say I got one more.

cholt likes this.
  3. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

There will ducks....and rumors of ducks.....

We did well. My son and I made the Blackbellies pay dearly and shot a bunch of teal. I only got 1 Fulvous and 2 Mottleds but was specifically laying off the mottleds till the Lull kicks in in mid December....then I will go do my one a day hunts.
    By Thanksgiving I was getting tired so I did some easy boat hunts and killed some woodies.
    For my last hunt of 9 ( first split) I took the State waterfowl biologist out to kill woodies...we got 4.

At this point, I'm greatful for the 12 days off....I will hunt the start of second phase hard for a week but will then throttle back till January....then go to full power at the end...like I always do.

4. H20DAD

The blue winged teal were exceptionally thick this early season on the level of return migrators we see in late January. Where I hunt I seldom see large flocks of teal after the first day of hunting and this year we saw multiple large flocks of teal in the decoys each day except for the last. Most days we were teal limited (5 birds each)by 25-30 minutes after legal shooting time waiting on our drake mottled ducks to show up. One day we mistook two hens for drakes but other than that all drakes.

On my one of three sta hunts I saw only two Widgeon and no pintails which was honestly a little disappointing but I don’t target those birds specifically. First year I’ve ever been able to hunt all 9 days and still was able to work a full day on one of those. I didn’t limit on three days. It was a barn burner. And I was happy that we lost only 3 birds total as cripples lots of really clean shooting by everyone with whom I hunted. Surely some part luck but great none the less.

Ended one duck shy of my total season goal, so everything else from here on out will be rich gravy. Hoping to get some new guys to Florida hunting on some true black belly beat downs. Where wave after wave of birds hover over our heads at 15 yards off the deck.

Some places we haven’t hunted in years are showing promise for the late season. Fingers crossed.

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Real slow down in the glades...managed a few ringers the first five days, that was all I saw and it was slim pickings. Enjoying this current cold front and hoping for more!

6. duckmanJR

I had heard that the Glades were slow except some places had a few birds....
    Got a quick brief on the data...The STA numbers were good...some where exceptional

7. twodog

twodog New Member

I hunted the glades last weekend. It was slow for me too. Water was low as well. I hunted central Florida on opening day and did much better. Heading back to central fl for phase II...

8. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

Do you guide down there? I just have been following the Florida forum because I like to travel and fish there and have been thinking about the ducks in Florida too.

9. duckmanJR

10. H20DAD

No. I hunt with a guy who guides collectors. He is one of the best duck hunters I’ve ever met. If you can lure him out of semiretirement he’ll put you on a great hunt. I just aspire to be half as good as him some day.