Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Well ~ let me tell you about a hunt ~ one of the best ```

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by onjig, Aug 23, 2018.

1. onjig

onjig Senior Refuge Member

Jack invited me ~ you don't know Jack ~ but ~ well this hunt was up in Horse Thief Canyon off of Hwy 88 not far from 89 turns north through Hope Valley and 88 continues west ```

It was a good hunt jack had rented a couple horsed ~ you know not to ride but ~ to drag ```

Anyway ~ I had to work at the time so I would hike in from 88 Saturday night ~ they'd already have camp set up ``` It was getting dark as I started in ~ I had the 7mm Mouser Carbine ~ I had converted to 308 ~ way back I had been working nights and turned this Springfield barrel so it looked like a Mouser ~ Well that's another story ```

Anyway when i found camp it was dark ~ Jack introduced me to these three guys ~ wasn't a real happy group ~ but ```

We talked a bit and had a cupa ~ well ~ you could see the light from ~ let's see there were about maybe six camps in the valley ~ pretty lush ~ we were at about 8,000 feet ~ I'm guessing ```

So I walk east just couple hundred yard to this camp ~ father and son ~ the boy was maybe 14 years ~ they had tied everything on this horses back and sides with rope ~ and as the horse walked the rope seesawed across here and there ~ rubbing him raw ~ so he jumped and kicked an bucked till everything was off his back and ran off ~ they were just about to go see if they could lure him back ~ I wished them luck ```

The next camp was north maybe 50 yards ~ I called out: " OK to come in " yeh, come on ~ so I stepped into the light ~ Indians ~ one guy tossed a bottle ~ and I caught it ~ like I did this all the time ~ Whiskey 3/4 full ~ I took a nip and handed it to one guy facing the fire ``` Well they were friendly nice guys ~ from around Woodfords area ~ I was motioned to sit by the fire ~ and this guy n I ~ young fellow talked and talked and ~ another guy put a pan on the fire ~ the sides of the pan were no more than 2 1/2" maybe 3" tall and the pan was maybe 12" across ~ he filled it with water ~ and we tossed the bottle round and round ~ and they brought out another ~ and we laughted n laughted n~ this other guy started to pour Rice into the pan ~ he had a 5 lb or bigger bag and was ~ I could see he was gona pour it all into the pan ~ so I started to say stop stop ~ I'm Armenian ~ well American but my folks were from Armenia ~ we eat a lot of Pilaf ~ you know Rice and vermachelli ~ in chicken broth ```
    Well the guy next to me touches my arm ~ and says pointing at the guy by the fire ~ and kinda wispers: " He Knows " ~ well I was sloshed by this time and I thought ~ You know ~ Person can always learn something new ~ you know your think you know every thing bout something ~ then you learn something you never knew ```

We drank more than anybody with any sense would drink and talked about ~ well they were saying all these people are dumb ~ they'll take bucks ~ the does are the tender ones ~ they'll leave Sunday ~ and leave the does ```
    I looked at the fire ~ the rice in the pan had expanded ~ and expanded and was pouring over out of the pot onto the fire ~ n sissling and the handles of the pan were about finished burning off ~ well ~ they were friendly guys ~ It was kinda fun ~ I headed back ~ was able to find our camp n get my sleeping bag out and was gone ~ aahh ~ look at the time ```
    If I can find my way back to this thread ~ I'll come back n tell about the hunt ~ If you'd like ```

onjig

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Love to hear about your hunt if was anything like your night drink'in with the Mohegan's.:l:tu

3. onjig

Hi callinfowl ~ glad you came by ~ just had first cup a ~ almost awake ~ picked up a truck for wife to drive while her monster truck is fixed ~ let me show you ~ if I can figure this out ``` Lariat 1.jpg Lariat 2.jpg

I'm doing a couple things to get it in good nick ~ went to a wrecking yard and picked up a few ~ one is a smaller windshield washer tank ~ to make room for a Frantz Oil Filter ~ I have a few ~ I changed the oil ~ the spin on filter is right above the front dif ~ son of a gum ~ Henry would be pissed at some things his company is up to ~ Oh the hunt ~ yeh I would like to relive that and you might enjoy ~ but I ~ well ~ I'll make a short version ~ there were four other guys on in camp ~ one good friend and three who didn't talk much they took three buck total ~ fork or better ~ we had two horses ~ one to drag the kill and her stable buddy who did nothing but tag along ~ I rode the big horse up to where one buck fell ~ as we came down a small rise to a creak ~ I though oh hell ~ no saddle ~ when we jump the creek ~ but that horse was so careful ~ making sure I wouldn't lose it ~ we got the kills back to camp ~ bagged it ~ everybody readies to leave ~ they don't live up here ~ didn't to out earlier with with the binging and banging ~ so I start out to take a sweep up the eastern slope and back down through the Aspen ~ well it was great country ~ like my back yard in Christmas Valley ~ I could hear pop n pop up higher n over the other side in a small valley ~ couldn't tell if they were shooting at trees of deer or each other ~ but ~ not a sign of fork or better ~ saw one nice buck but he looked like we'd be good friends if we had a beer together ~ I'd find the right one today or later ~ coming back through the aspen ~ came face to face with this sweet doe ~ she was big eyed and scared ~ I said: Hi baby, it's ok ~ it's me Richard from right over the hill ~ she just stared ~ and trembled ~ she let me set my rifle down and sit slowly on leaning aspen n I told her this and that ~ and she'd bite off an aspen leaf and chew n look off in the direction I was pointing or back over her shoulder ~ we got real comfortable ~ I was able to give her a tear of French bread ~ I think she'd let me stroke her ~ the guys were firing a rifle ~ to let me know it was time ~ she let me get up ~ sip up and get my gun ~ I told her about the Indians ~ told her they was nice guys ~ but they'd pop her ~ I wanted to hug her good by ~ but ~ as I walked away ~ still talking to her ~ she stepped forward to keep me in view ~ God she was sweet ~ sorry to admit I didn't take a deer that hunt ~ but you should a been there ~ I could have stayed ~ I live just a few from there ~ but if I took a buck I'd have to drag ~ as they were taking the horses ~ really you should a ~ if you were there we ~ instead of bagging and dragging we'd have cut up ~ burned and buried the rest ~ stayed the night ~ then packed out to HWY 89 ~ paper wrapped the flesh and into the freezer ~ but ~ thanks for coming by ~ we'll talk again ```

Richard

Fixing the doors ~ electric locks ~ three of them work now ~ the toggles on the back doors are held on by special Pop rivets ~ what the heck I'll have to figure something out for this back door drivers side ```

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Damn, I wish I the gift of writing and storytelling that you possess.
    I was damn'd at birth with a bad case of dyslexia, the DR told my mother not to drink wine while she was pregnant with me. But being Sicilian I guess that was too much to ask of her. Speak'in of wine my Gramp's, Smitty as he instructed us to call him from the time I could remember, use to give us kids a small glass of his homemade red wine with our Sunday family supper. I think it was really too knock us out after dinner so he could watch the ball game on his old black and white TV in peace.
    Thanks for the great story, I like your style.

Dan

Don't get me started on the newer truck thing, I swear they make these things so a man can't fix his own truck these days. I guess it's too much to ask for a simple carbureted V8 or straight 6 engine with a distributor cap and points in an engine bay with a little room to work these days. Rubber floor mats and vinyl seats, wing windows, locking hubs, manual 4x4 shifter, and a front axle would be a nice bonus as well.

5. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Always thought that Woodsford country looked good, never hunted it though.

6. onjig

Greetings guys ~( Dan, Sicilian mama ) sure she was a great cook ~ and very loving ~ you're lucky ~ my godfather is Italian, Parachi de mi amichi soni Idaliatzi ~ my Italian use to be passable and I made wine for the first time (in large amount) with Dominic Schvoni, he's gone to be with the Lord ~ I was about 20 then ~ I've gotten old it seem ~ here is my wine cellar ~ I'm Armenian by the by ```

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. onjig

Dan one time Dominic and I went with my pick up to Ontario, California ~ to get a load grapes ~ the vineyard was being picked at the time ~ the Mexicotzi were picking and the foreman was telling them not to go so fast ~ they were leaving too much fine ripe grapes on the vine ~ this Foreman was so clearly Sicilian, he spoke just enough English to get his point across ~ we pulled in the center path ~ the foreman instructed the pickers and the 52 ford was filled to so the grapes were in a 12'X12' pitch, one basket more would roll to the ground ~ cost about $28 ~ nice load, plush fruit ~ as we were driving out to the paved road Dom says " when the da boss say ~ pula da truck in da center ~ soon he say center ~ I knew he's Italian ~ I'm laughing so hard, I had to stop the truck ~ Dominic, I say, He every word he said made clear he was a Pizan ~ he barely spoke English ~ Dom says ~ na, waz dat word ```