Wells and Well Pumps

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by tornadochaser, Jul 31, 2018.

1. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

I was really intrigued as to how a post about wells and pumps made it to 4 pages in less than a week.... then I read the original "ears down" comment.

...Now I'm kind of surprised we don't have 7+ pages....

Sprig Hunter and Sunklands like this.
  2. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

YET!

3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Most around here are turbine pumps, powered by electric or power unit. In the past a lot of centrifugal pumps were used on power units but, the water column has to be within 20 feet of the head, for vacuum to bring it up. There are probably a few electric submersible pumps used, in well casings from 4”-8”but, I’m not aware of it. I’ve used a camel back pump on a tractor to pump out of bar and drainage ditches before.

4. xpress1650

xpress1650 New Member

I know a lot of guys down here (stuttgart area) just open the grates little and let the grain fly out around the pit! And yes, its legal.

5. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Well it's only my opinion I was talking about there, but I base my opinion largely on the law and culture of American waterfowling that I've grown up within. So to clarify, planting jap millet to flood would also be legalized baiting in my eyes. Manipulation of planted jap millet is illegal, thus the basis of my opinion. When I say "grow moist soil" I mean controlling draw down to allow the preferred natural plant community to germinate and grow. That to me is good management. Planting non native non self sustaining crops/grain with no intent of harvest is legalized baiting in my eyes. Controlling water for optimal natural plant habitat conditions is not the same as planting grain, in my eyes. But like many of you, I will take advantage of what the law allows. Invite me to a flooded corn or millet impoundment and I will be there. Knock it down and I won't show since I don't need the ticket. Mowing moist soil plants is also legalized baiting in my eyes, but legal, so I would hunt that the same as legal flooded corn.

As far as opening the grates and spraying rice grain around the pit, while a common practice, is not legal anywhere that I know of.

6. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

ope ope, the bobber dipped!