Western Nebraska Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I got out yesterday afternoon looking for a turkey to shoot. County roads were a mess but I made it along ok. Popped over a hill and saw a big group feeding in a wheat field about 100 yards off a shelter belt. I quickly backed up and parked on one end of the belt and high tailed it to the other end of the belt to set up hoping they would feed towards me. Sure enough they did and once they got within 150 yards they really started responding well to my calling. There were 18 birds in the group and it looked like only 1 tom and the rest jakes and hens. The whole time they were coming I could see the tom was in the back but once they got within 100 yards they went behind a little rise but they would still see my decoys. The tom must have not liked my jake with two hens because he was the first bird to show up and he was in full strut. Let him have it, and then the jakes came and beat him up as he flopped around. I've seen that on shows many times but that was the first time it's happened to me. Pretty funny to watch. He wasn't very big with only a 6" beard, but he was still beautiful and wasn't getting a pass.
    [​IMG]

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Great story and bird.

What's that white stuff behind you?

3. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Ha, yeah you don't get much of that white stuff in Georgia. We can get snow well into May some years, but we are 4,000 ft. elevation though. I think three years ago we got 2" on May 21st. That is the latest I've personally seen it but a guy I work with said he has seen it in June and all the wheat was headed out and laid it all over. There are a pile of out of state guys that come to Nebraska and I'm sure many had a disappointing trip with the blizzard this weekend.

widgeon likes this.
  4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

5. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

6. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Great bird!!

7. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Congrats on gettin' the job done!! :tu