What Action Camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by MikeTX, Apr 27, 2019.

1. MikeTX

MikeTX New Member

What action camera are people using? Want to use it to do multiple things from creating YouTube review videos to recording hunts. I have been looking at the GoPro Hero 7 Black. I keep seeing things where people are posting short battery life and overheating problems. I do like that I can buy an after market product that allows for syncing of multiple GoPro 7s.

Those who have the GoPro Hero 7 Black advise of pros and cons please.

Also if you have other cameras you would recommend share away.

Thanks in advance.

2. mrbill

mrbill Elite Refuge Member

You might want to check with widgeonmangh on the Washington flyway forum he uses go pros for his hunt videos.

3. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

4. Huskermut

Huskermut Refuge Member

I would go with a GoPro Hero 5 Black. Between the 4 and the 5 is where GoPro made massive improvements. The 5 is gonna be cheaper than the 7 and has almost everything the 7 does. To solve the battery issue get a Refuel battery pack. It'll last for 9 hrs and works for the 5, 6, 7, so on. The mics on GoPros aren't the best and you'll want a mic adapter if you want good sound quality. Unfortunately the mic adapter and battery pack use the same port so you have to choose between one or the other. For review videos and other stuff, I would recommend a video camera or a quality DSLR, like the Sony a6300 with a Rode mic. Here is an example of one of my videos shot with GoPros

The head cam is a GoPro Hero 4+ Black and the secondary shots are on the Hero 5 black. Hope this helps.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

go pro make everything look like 100+yds away. Replay or bullet cameras for down the barrel and the sony for field or at least something with a 40-65 degree field of view.

Replay xd mini

6. Jim Hobson

Jim Hobson New Member

7. Cougar Gold

Cougar Gold New Member

What do you guys think about buying a refurbished GoPro off eBay? Is there much that can go wrong?

8. Huskermut

Huskermut Refuge Member

I bought my GoPro Hero 4 Black refurbished on Amazon. I've had zero issues. Actually a good way to save money on technology. Just check to see who's done the refurbishing.