What are your thoughts on subsidized flood insurance and tax payers making up the difference?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

No they shouldn’t have kids if they can’t afford them. Nor should anyone live where they can’t afford the cost of living. Insurance is a part of the cost of living.

I never would have guessed you were a liberal.

2. MiteyF

MiteyF New Member

I'm all for things like universal health care, because one way or another, we all pay for everyone else's healthcare anyways. But insurance should reflect the dangers in a given area/situation.

Let's not get started on tax breaks for having children, or the right wingers will talk about how poor people shouldn't have kids, then tell us that abortion is immoral, all in the same breath.

3. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Funny how you try to justify it, "massive tax refunds" I am in AMT so I never really seen a "massive tax refund" for kids small deduction in my mind. The kid 2k deduction saves one about 500 bucks x 18 years so a massive 9k over 18 years. And one flooded house cost how much to replace? So funny

4. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

My downstairs (garage) is 6 feet below sea level. Floods happen, they're a way of life, I've never had flood insurance and prefer to self-insure, my homeowners insurance covers the contents of the house, just not the structure itself, and quite honestly if the flood is bad enough to take the house down, this land will be reclaimed by the bay. Why should I make someone else pay for me to live here. The property has been in the family for over 60 years, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

5. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

You da man not many a folks left like you, kudos.

6. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

Eventually federal subsidies need to end. Let each state handle it because each state has different risks to be managed.

bullpinnie, J.SCOTT and pud123 like this.
  7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I'm OK with low cost loans to rebuild, with the caveat that you somehow must mitigate the risk of the loss happening again.

The Other David and Jawbreaker like this.
  8. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker Senior Refuge Member

No sympathy here. You can look at a damn map and know the chances of your house flooding. If you want to live there, have at, but don’t make me pay for it when it floods.

pintail2222 likes this.
  9. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

For the most part I agree that govt shouldn't be subsidizing the insurance.

However, there are some caveats - like when govt comes in and reclassifies a piece of property. Had this happen, owned a farm with a creek running though and about 100 feet behind the house. It was known that high water would flood into the pasture and the flood maps (and insurance) made it expensive to put any structures there.

Several years later a 100 year flood happens. Water covers the fences (was out herding cattle by canoe to get them on higher ground). After the smoke clears, the govt comes in a reclassified 2/3 of the farm as flood zone (even though water never got within 25 feet of house) and we are now required to by flood insurance based on new classification. We were given the option to challenge but that required complex surveys that would cost as much as 5 years or more of insurance.

10. MiteyF

MiteyF New Member

25 feet isn't much... nowadays storms and weather are getting worse. What may not have been a flood area 25 years ago very well could be today.