What is the most you have towed?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by techfowl, May 17, 2019.

1. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

Just wondering what is the most you have hauled/towed behind a 1/2 ton pick-up? I had to get some landscaping rock yesterday and ended up towing about 12,000 lbs behind my F150, (4x4 5.0 with tow package). I believe the max recommended towing for this truck is around 9,000 lbs. But it did OK, only had to go about 15 miles or so. However I'm sure a lot of you have exceeded your capacities.

2. hick

hick Senior Refuge Member

14,000 lbs with a Ford Ranger. Loads of hay between field and barn. Not that far to go though.

Used to regularly pull a Ranger 619 boat with it as well, 4700 lbs. Did very well actually and got the same mileage pulling that as I do with my f150 now, about 11.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Have hauled a dump trailer full of gravel; not sure what it weighed but it was pretty danged heavy. And this was with a '92 Chevy so WAAAY over it's tow rating.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yeah if we're counting loads of hay then there's no telling. Massive loads, but barely ever even got on the highway and didn't go far when I did.

5. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Well, there was this one gal back in college...

6. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Used to use my Honda Foreman ATV to haul stuff around the farm. Routinely pulled an empty 16 foot horse/trailer with it. The weight to weight towed ratio had to be crazy high. Took a lot to get it rolling, and took a lot to get stopped - but it was a lot easier moving the empty trailer around barns and pasture with the 4 wheeler than it was a truck.

Used that same 4 wheeler to haul up to 2 round bales (usually only 1) on a small trailer.

That being said - it was strictly a flat ground proposition. Wouldn't even think about trying the same on sloping ground.

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Back in college we had golf carts that rode around during the evenings to transport students around campus, mostly for the girls safety but of course guys took advantage too. I was one of the drivers and there was one guy named Darryl that was every bit of 450lbs, probably more (and had a head the size of my 5yr old). Anyway, one section of campus is a pretty good slope and when picking him up from his dorm I'd have to line the golf cart up straight because he'd lift the front wheels just enough that you literally couldn't steer. One day I made the mistake of taking him around a different walkway doing downhill; ended up jumping off the curb and running out into the road because I couldn't stop. That was the fastest I've ever been on a golf cart!

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

1/2 ton you start straining the heck out of them once you start towing a lot of weight, friend of mine tried to tow a gooseneck with a good sized bobcat on it for his dad and didn't get to far before the truck started overheating badly. He called me up and we towed it 150 miles with my dually no problem.

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Different tools for different uses.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Yeap, my truck was set up for towing a 24 foot 4 horse trailer with living quarters on it, lot of weight there fully loaded with hay burners. Auxiliary trans and oil coolers were a good investment in the long run.