what kind of broadheads are you using for hunting

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by MarcelCote, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Refuge Member

PrairieDream, I have considered going to the 100 gr. and probably will move to those next once I have depleted my 125 grain inventory. Right now I am shooting 125 grain field points and the 125 grain broadhead. I really like how these broadheads perform very little adjustment when shooting field points to broadheads. But, I have seriously thought I would lose some weight once I burn through them. They are so tough though that you almost have to lose them to deplete your inventory. Bad to the BONE!!!

2. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

It seems that as most archers are willing to shoot farther and test the limits of their skills and their equipments capabilities. Unlike 15-30 years ago (I've been bowhunting since I was 12) shooting at 40 yards and beyond is becoming common place with some but, their tackle has not changed, as far as arrow and broadhead weight. Shooting a very fast compound, with light arrows and broadheads comes with sacrifice at long range, especially with bigger deer. The faster and lighter the arrow the less penetration there is. If archers that choose to use modern equipment would try heavier spines arrows and broadheads that are 150 grainish, then they might be surprised at how much more lethal their set up is at long range. Just taking a little of what I know from traditional archery and applying it to modern.

3. Waterfowler9

Waterfowler9 Refuge Member

This year will be my first year bow hunting, I asked a buddy about broad heads and he swears by slick tricks so I picked up a four pack of those.

4. main'tducks

main'tducks Elite Refuge Member

I read this thread a few days back. Didn't post but, now I will.
    I used to use the Thunderhead125's. I got so tired of having to re-sight my bow to the broadheads, I quit using them. Absolutely no problem with performance, I just got tired of having to re-sight from a tree with broadheads and then go back for off-season practice.
    I then, started using the Rage broadheads. They cured my re-sight problem. They performed well. Not great but well. Never lost a deer, had good blood trails, flew very well in the woods. BUT..... they lacked in pass through shots. Most of my arrows were jamming up in the deer, then getting broken in two pieces as the deer ran. Yes, I pull plenty of weight on a cam bow. No, I don't shoot super light arrows. And, no I wasn't taking super long shots.Longest I think was 28 yards. After I was down to 1 arrow, I found a superb broadhead.
    I started using Slick Trick 100 gr. Magnums(11/4 inch cut) They fly like field tips, give me complete pass through performance, leave me a good blood trail, have super sharp replacement blades to use, and are still not too expensive. I will continue to use these until I can't get them anymore.
    My recommendation to newbies and younger guys is to just try these to start with. They save money and save you some major time and headaches.

Alpha Dogg likes this.
  5. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

Slick Trick 100gr Magnums or Muzzy 100gr MX-4

6. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Refuge Member

I'm going up in point wieght this year. 125 grains from a hundred. Looking into using a VPA 2 blade in the 2017 season.

7. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I've heard a lot of good comments about the Slick Tricks, but haven't personally experienced any tuning issues with the NAP Thunderheads that I can recall. I'll watch it closer this year to see if I've missed something, but since I keep my shots to a maximum of 30 yds I would think it would have to be off quite a bit for it to show up, unless something was really out of kilter.

8. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

9. Birdsnspurs

Birdsnspurs Refuge Member

I reallllly like NAP killzones. Killed my big Mulie with them