What makes for a "good" shrimp?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Boomn4x4, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 Elite Refuge Member

So just got back from Florida and after having stopped a crab market, the guy there tried selling me on shrimp. It was pricy, but he pulled out a frozen bag and was raving about how he doesn't get it locally because they aren't any good there, said he likes to get them from up by the pan handle. Then proceeded to show me the bag and was raving about how "white" and clean they were. Whatever, I needed shrimp anyway, I'll take 2 pounds. @ $16/lb.

So a few days later I was a run of the mill grocery store. Again, needing shrimp, I asked the guy at the seafood counter where he got his shrimp from... he said they were "locally sourced". So basically, he had no idea. I got a couple pounds @ 11/lb.

A few days later, at local seafood market, I was again in the market for some shrimp. Asked the lady behind the counter about the shrimp and she told me that they were caught local and then went on to rave about how "pink" they were "just like coral, they are beautiful shrimp". They were also $16/lb.

Then it dawned on me..... What the hell is going on with shrimp? Are local better? Are white better? Are pink better? $16 in one place for supposedly the same shrimp at $11 at another? What's going on here? How do I figure out what the best shrimp are?

Brushbeater likes this.
  2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    You're from Ohio and they aint............

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

The white and pink are just different types, as is brown. White is usually more tender than brown, and many consider pink the best flavor. Rest assured if you didn't catch them they've most likely been frozen so don't let that bother you. Just make sure you buy gulf shrimp, not some foreign crap. "Best" also depends on what you're doing with them .

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  4. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

If I buy shrimp I buy from fish market most the time I will go out in the bay and drag net for them it’s boring as hell but if you have a few extra people on board it’s worth it

5. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

That’s Alabama gulf shrimp

6. grande long

grande long Refuge Member

tcc said it right freezer boat caught gulf shrimp 16-20 ct wholesale costs are 7.50 8.50 lb retail ? dont buy the tigers or asians.

7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

it all depends on your persona likes and tastes, and how you are going to prepare them.

Wild caught Gulf shrimp is probably going to be the best. Argentina pink shrimp are usually very good, too. china has the most high tech operations for P&D'd shrimp if that is how you like them, and they grow mostly tiger shrimp, which are great for cooking.

8. grande long

grande long Refuge Member

the videos of the tiger shrimp growing operations in some countries is horrible looking.im afraid to eat anything from china

Ducker 4 Ever and Banded1 like this.
  9. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 Elite Refuge Member

The year is 2018.... Flying cars, or "airplanes" as they are called have been invented. Distributions centers are scattered all over the country permitting the shipping of virtually any product, even fresh frozen shrimp, possible to anywhere in mere hours.

Mind = BLOWN

10. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

My wife and step daughter spent a few days down in Gulf Shores and came home with some shrimp...regulars and ruby reds. Never heard of ruby reds. They were a whole lot more expensive but I don't think they tasted any better or worse.