What makes for a "good" shrimp?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Boomn4x4, Feb 1, 2018.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Boiled, heads on, 99% of the time.

bullpinnie likes this.
  2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Point made---all you're tasting is the seasonings!
    Boiled is actually about the only way I don't like shrimp; I'll eat them but don't care for them. Grilled, blackened, fried--I'll eat them till I can barely stand.

3. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Typically the only difference between brown and white shrimp is how dirty or clean the water the shrimp have been in. I have caught brown shrimp in my cast net when casting for Menhaden, threw them in the live well and run offshore. After 5 hours in clean water offshore, those same shrimp filtered out and were completely clear. All you could see were there eyes, feet and whiskers. Pretty cool.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Negative--they're different species.

5. burgawboy

East coast...I don't think we have what is considered Gulf brown shrimp here. But some are more brown than others, and you can definitely tell they are more gritty than the whiter ones, hence the dirty water. I could be wrong, but this is just an observation.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Gotcha. I don't know about east coast stuff. In the gulf though they're all different species; you can't purge a brown one and make it a white.

7. burgawboy

I looked'em up. I can definitely see the shell is darker, not just the meat on the gulf browns.

8. burgawboy

That must be what a guy gave me last winter. We were fueling a shrimp boat from the gulf that was contracted to troll in front of the dredge boats in order to save the turtles. He gave me a bag of big brown shrimp that looked horrible. I chocked it up to being in the freezer too long. Had a purple hue to them. Not like the usual iridescent look I'm used to, but purple.

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Supposedly the cold water pink shrimp (Alaska/Maine) do have a sweeter tasted. They are caught deeper than most shrimp.

10. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

If people saw how shrimp were handled before they were pealed they would not eat very many. Every once in a while in Kodiak there would be cannery workers killed when they went in a hold of a trawler. The shrimp are allowed to "ripen" in the hold before pealing, they give off hydrogen sulfide gas & that is what overcomes cannery workers.