What shot do you use?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Feb 6, 2018.

What do you normally shoot for ducks?

1. Steel

82.8%
  2. Heavy Steel

1.7%
  3. Bismuth

4.3%
  4. Tungsten

6.0%
  5. Other (name it)

5.2%
  1. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I used to shoot quite a bit of Hevi when we could still get it by the pound for $12-$14, now with most Tungsten shot being close to three times that amount I shoot mostly steel. Personally I wish lead shot was allowed again but that's another story.

mmayes and Winchester 1897 like this.
  3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I tried Remington Wingmaster tungsten loads about eight years ago. Wasn't impressed with it, especially for the price. Still have several boxes sitting in my ammo cabinet.
    Have used only steel since then and have not been disappointed.
    Now... this year I purchased eight boxes of Kent Tungsten-Matrix for my 20 gage...and I did it for very specific reasons/very specific hunts, not for general duck use. Did not get a chance to use it this season, but hope to have the opportunity next season.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I use a lot of different pellet types, as the situation dictates.

TSS has no performance peer and brings the 16 gauge into serious long-range efficacy.
    Remington's Wingmaster HD and when they were loading the HS under license of EMI is second on the list.
    Winchester's ER in the 2 3/4" of #6's is good stuff.
    Federal's TI loads of old were good but am down to the last few boxes.
    Federal's Heavy Weight (15gm/cc) has the density but what I had was problematic to pattern. Sold most of it earlier this season.
    Steel works in decoy range situations with preference to small(er) pellets of 4's, 5's and even 6's with #1's the go-to size for geese.

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Everytime I've been to Macks I'd buy a box of Hevi-Shot 2's for geese & 6's for ducks about 60 each. But I'm too cheap to shoot them! :z

Tuleman likes this.
  6. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Hw13#6 for ducks sometimes.
    MOSTLY steel though, probably 90% of time. HD stuff when I take my kids out.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  7. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Mostly cheap steel. I still buy a few boxes of Hevi-Goose and Hevi-Dead Coyote each year, mainly for picking away at snows that like to hang up at 60-70 yards, and occasional hunts with my citori. might try the hevi X this spring on snows, paying for it with some gift cards.

8. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

All of my duck shells came from Rogers. My goose stuff I bought locally.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

My Reloads in 28 , 20 , 12 and 10 ga .......I feel you gotta have faith in what you shoot so , I load my own !

10GAGENUT and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  10. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

I perfer Bismuth but shoot a fair amount of premium steel also. Generaly Steel for my firts shot and back it up with bismuth but not always. The situation and experience dictate I Shoot mainly Steel #3 at big ducks and for that first shot , Steel #2 field shooting mallards as laying out slows response time for me some, Steel #4 for Teal, #1 Steel for Snows ,and bot BB & BBB at Big Canadas.

Bismuth Preference #5 for ducks but will switch to #4 after Thanksgiving , Sea Ducks Bismuth #2 and Bismuth BB for Canadas