What shot do you use?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Feb 6, 2018.

What do you normally shoot for ducks?

1. Steel

83.6%
  2. Heavy Steel

1.8%
  3. Bismuth

3.6%
  4. Tungsten

5.5%
  5. Other (name it)

5.5%
  1. Bug Doc

Bug Doc Elite Refuge Member

I've used just about everything under the sun. TSS is the best for consistent, clean kills at any range, but is too pricey to use for anything other than special hunts. Fed Heavyweight at 15g/cc is a close second (I just used some #6's to pass shoot big honkers and it's deadly). I also used a lot of Bismuth this season - worked just fine. HW13 is another personal favorite.

I still shoot quite a bit of steel, particularly on opening morning when there are a lot of teal around. It works just fine, but I do notice an increase in the number of birds that require either swats or ground chases. A couple of places where I hunt have particularly heavy cover, so I always use high density products there to minimize lost birds.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Seems overwhelmingly people use steel shot for waterfowl hunting, the tungsten shot alternatives are very good and I really like them however cost is a factor for me and many others. The factories have already gone through this and dropped most of the tungsten shot offerings for this very reason, when Remington dropped Wingmaster HD from the line up I called a Rep and asked what the reason was. Rep told me they just weren't selling enough of it to make a profit, because of low sales volume it was costing Remington more to produce Wingmaster HD than it was worth.
    So it goes

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

That Wingmaster HD was some expensive stuff! I could not justify the cost of it or most any of the other “heavy” type shells on the market, especially since steel 1’s were cleanly killing birds to distances of around 50 yds and in. Used it for years and years until changing over to 2’s and 3’s, in part to the different type/style of fowling I’m doing and because I found two brand of shells my gun is very fond of.
    I still shoot some 1’s but it’s mostly at sea ducks where it’s defintely needed.
    All that said, I do reload HW13 6’s for the 28 ga. and have really enjoyed hunting with it. And because I fell into some of the “old” Hevi Shot 5’s, I am in the process of loading up some for the 12. Don’t plan on extending my shot range selection but will be good to know it’s there if needed.

4. duckbuster2

duckbuster2 Refuge Member

Steel works just fine I shoot 2 3/4 in. 3's no problem

5. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I will normally shoot #3 Fiochi steel shot, but the last couple years I've bought some Hevi-metal shells. I won't pay the normal price for them, but bought several cases at discounted prices that also had rebates. I like them. I marked "Other", as they are a mix of steel shot and smaller heavier shot. So my "2's" are something like 2 steel and 4 or 5 heavier shot. Kind of a duplex load.

So in the selection poll, there was one marked "Heavy Steel". Are you referring to the actual heavy steel that used to be made a few years back?

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Hevi-Steel was steel, but it wasn't heavy. All steel is the same density.

7. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Hmmm do you have any links with info on the OLD Hevi-steel (from 10-15 years or so ago)? I'm pretty sure it was a mixture of steel and something denser. At least that's been talked about in the past on this board. I know the current "Hevi-steel" is pure steel, which I'm sure is a surprise to some.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Pretty sure he is referring to the Original Hevi-Steel, which was a 'heavier than steel' blend of metals.

9. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Refuge Member

The original Hevi steel was a tungsten/steel blend at at about 9.2 g/cc loaded to about 1400 fps I believe. In Bs it would flat clobber geese out to 50 yards. At $20 or less per box of 25 it was a great alternative to steel. The new Hevi steel is just steel. A poor choice of product name by EMI I think.

10. bubba682

bubba682 Refuge Member

I tried itx this year i liked it in the 10