What shot do you use?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Feb 6, 2018.

What do you normally shoot for ducks?

1. Steel

82.9%
  2. Heavy Steel

1.7%
  3. Bismuth

4.3%
  4. Tungsten

6.0%
  5. Other (name it)

5.1%
  1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

As I recall, the original Hevi-Steel was ordinary, copper-plated carbon steel. Since copper is very slightly denser than iron, the plating made the steel shot a barely-measurable amount heavier than a non-plated steel shot of the same diameter. That was Environ-Metal's theory, anyway.
    Commercial tungsten-steel alloy has such a small amount of tungsten in it that its density is virtually the same as carbon steel; it is also much too hard to be used to effectively make spheres such as bearing balls or shot.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

3. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Well, anyways the more important point than arguing what an old, non-available load was, is the fact that the survey choice options are kinda poorly labeled, as there IS NO SUCH thing any more as Hevi Steel that is a HD load, which the survey is about. Nor is there a load actually called "Heavy Steel", it was all called Hevi-Steel. It's like putting a choice of "Copper Plated Lead Tungsten"... no such thing exists, and it just causes argument and distraction, and ruins the integrity of your survey results.

So yeah, my comments are more about poor survey methodology... with a degree in Probability and Statistics, I just can't pass it up man! ;)

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

By the looks of the poll results a degree in simple economics seem to be more in order.

5. Tuleman

Since those who thought it was a tungsten alloy seem to be merely voicing their opinions (no conclusive proof is provided) based on what they've heard.....just as I am voicing my opinion based on what I've heard....I'll stick with what I've come to believe. Until, that is, proof can be provided that indicates otherwise. :tu
    Since Environmetal is very tight-lipped about what exactly is in their loads, it looks like opinions are all we'll have to go on.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Tule, sorry about your bad memory! :dv

Here is info from Mack's Prairie Wings, April of 2006, via the "Wayback machine" link:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2006042...erfowl_Load_12_Gauge_3_inch_1_1/8_Ounce_Case*

upload_2018-2-12_14-21-38.png

Approx 25% tungsten .....

7. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

8. Tuleman

Well, according to Environmetal, I was wrong.
    (Isn't the first time, and won't be the last, I'm sure.)
    Thanks, wingmatt.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Wait what??? I thought it was just frowned upon???

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

On the poll list, "Heavy Steel" is listed... What is that?

Environmental Metals have made two products called Hevi-Steel. The first time it was introduced some years ago, it was a steel/tungsten matrix (a great load that was relatively affordable)... The current product Hevi-Steel is just plain steel with a "heavy" payload and faster speed (according to their advertising)... They now make a new product called Hevi-X that is apparently very similar to the original Hevi-Steel... Very confusing...

But I have not heard of Heavy Steel??? Who makes it, and what is it???