What shot do you use?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Feb 6, 2018.

What do you normally shoot for ducks?

1. Steel

82.9%
  2. Heavy Steel

1.7%
  3. Bismuth

4.3%
  4. Tungsten

6.0%
  5. Other (name it)

5.1%
  1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The hevi product with the copper plated shot you are referring to is speedball. The original hevi steel was a mid density shot (between steel and lead), there is plenty of info on it if you look for it. :tu It was much like the current hevi X.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Which part the Hevi Shot or lead shot part??

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Using lead shot for waterfowl is illegal. Has been since the early 1990's.

(Assuming your question was legitimate...)

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

A feeble (and apparently unsuccessful) attempt at humor.

I have a suspicion that if lead were still legal that these forms would be considerably less interesting.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Maybe because there would be a whole lot Less Birds to hunt ? With less interested Hunters ? Thank Goodness You Fellas are still around ? :l:l:l:yes

6. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

A lot less cripples. A lot more recoveries. A lot cheaper.

creedsduckman likes this.
  7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

In some parts of the country yes… In California not so much.

I was at U.C. Davis when the whole lead to steel issue was a hot topic… I took a class which addressed this very topic (from a professor who was not necessarily pro-hunting).

His take on it (as well as my current understanding), is that for lead ingestion to have a significant detrimental effect you need:

1. Shallow water with a hard bottom, and a food or gravel source for birds to consume.
    2. A high concentration of ducks
    3. A high concentration of duck hunters.
    It was his opinion (from studies and observation) that California did not generally have pond bottoms which allowed lead to be available long enough for birds to consume in quantities to cause significant harm….

In all honesty, with current steel loads, there is likely little difference in efficacy for shooting ducks (at the distances I shoot birds)… Lead is superior, but not to a tremendous degree.

I would argue:

• For shooting geese, there are fairly significant differences.
    • For long-range pass shooting on ducks, lead is significantly superior to steel as well.
    • For upland, steel is vastly inferior to lead… I have not found loads that kill birds as well as steel.

In valley quail hunting for instance… Steel loads (#6’s) knock them down but do not kill birds as consistently (the terrain I hunt, crippled birds are difficult if not impossible retrieves)… And moving up to # 4 steel, it destroys birds at close range….. Lead kills birds close (15 yards) without destroying them, and it kills birds at moderate ranges (i.e. 30-35 yards) consistently… Steel destroys birds at 15 yards, and is not a consistent killer at 30-35 yards… And getting steel patterns to open up at closer ranges is another challenge.

Cost differences for hunting loads are negligible currently… Initially there was a significant difference in cost, but that gap has become considerably smaller in recent years. The cost of lead (shot and shells) has gone up considerably, but I have to wonder if that is due to lack of demand causing a lack of availability?

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I have purchased Lead ammo in large quantities and it (HAS) been available from online stores at prices way below Steel Shot Factory Loads !
    Walmart has been a good source of Target / Small game Lead loads for years , with competitive pricing But we haven't seen the same offerings
    in steel shot in any reasonable sellection of shot sizes ! The debate of having to use Steel Shot for field hunting Geese .....I can't understand that !
    Club and Refuge hunting , whereas shooters are in the same place and ponds are getting littered with shot year , after year , after year ......maybe
    there's some trurh to that ?

9. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

I don't believe that at all. Steel shot wounds more birds then what dies from lead poisoning.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Not if you know the load and choke to use at the ranges you shoot. Can't remember where I saw it but there was research that said the crippling rate was near the same when using comparable loads. Steel doesn't cripple birds, "hunters" choices and abilities do.