Decoy Forum Sponsors

What weights do you use

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by cholt, Nov 17, 2017.

1. fataldeducktion

fataldeducktion Refuge Member

I use homemade weights.The mold is a piece of 1/2in steel pipe 3in long cut in half lengthwise with two 1/8in holes drilled on cut 1/2in from ends.I then put each bent end of a piece of wire into holes with a loop long enough to slip over the decoys head.Then I vise grip closed,place one end of ppe on sand and pour lead into pipe.
    You can add decoy line whatever length you want and wrap it around wire close to lead.Slip loop over decoy head.When you put out decs you just remove weight from decoy head and toss.Weight will drop and self level for straight up and down strings.

2. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

I recieved this mold the other day. They are 9.5oz but can be trimmed to 8oz.

9.5 oz neck weight.jpg

cholt likes this.
  3. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

How do you use that?

cholt likes this.
  4. RTIC

If youre referencing my comment, they tie off to the hole in the top and then you can wrap your line around the keel and slip the weight over the decoys head.

5. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

I was, thanks for your response! I thought that's what it was. I'm kinda thinking about doing some long, maybe 10ft tx rigs. I hunt big water and this should be enough for the main area I hunt, but I'm going to scout out a couple new ones too and check the depth.

RTIC likes this.
  6. RTIC

I do make some 4, 6 and 8oz egg weights with the larger decoy line hole for texas rigs. I just started making weights for myself and then had a few friends request some and it just kind of took off from there.