Decoy Forum Sponsors

What weights do you use

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by cholt, Nov 17, 2017.

1. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

contact "ducknwork" on this forum. He made me an H weight mold several years back. I made quite a few from it. Mine ended up making approx 7 ounce weights, I probably would want more like 9 to 10 oz ones now. I'm sure he can help if he's still doing that.

2. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

I'm still playing around.

I've used strap weights, poured some oval/H-weight style, and used cast iron corn muffin pans in the shape of corn cobs...the little ones are probably 4 ounce, and a little light, but the big ones are a pound or better, and way too much...neat novelty, and I've threatened to plastic coat them with tool dip in yellow just for fun...

Probably going to melt and re-pour everything this year and go with the oval/H style. I gun water that may be 18" or 15 feet deep, depending on a lot of factors. For me as much as anything, the ability to vary the anchor depth that much is critical, but no system is perfect. In 18" of water in flooded timber, a 2-ounce weight would be fine...in 15 feet with current on flooded out rivers/backwaters, I need 8-10 ounce and long lines. Probably going with something like a 3-foot cord attached to the decoy and a longline clip that either an anchor or a longer line and anchor can be clipped to...

3. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

I emailed ducknwork a year ago, he said he can't do em anymore. Then I saw a thread saying he is doing them now. Hopefully I can get a mold.

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I hunt similar situations and like about 20-30 feet of cord on most decoys. One solution that I used to use was clip on weights. Pour heavy weights and add a dog chain type clip to them.

Rig your decoys with light timber weights and keep your heavy clip on weights handy in the truck or boat for hunting deep or heavy current. Drop the light weights to the bottom, half hitch your decoy at the keel and clip on the weight to slide down the cord or just clip them on before tossing them out.

5. Capt. John Stieben

Capt. John Stieben Refuge Member Sponsor

As of yet we have not went to deep into decoy anchors but the other day we acquired 15 ounce rubber coated mushroom weights with a stainless steel loop, if anyone is interested we have them $30/dozen shipped, I think they were made for goose decoys or heavy tides and current but I seen smaller ones in the stores near the coast so I am sure the stainless loop was a saltwater deal.

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

That is a lot of hardware to snag on itself. There are ways to adjust how much line you let off the keel (if your decoys have keels).

7. rhpierce

Do tell...

8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Unwrap the desired amount then half hitch around the keel?

G&H decoys had a hook shape to the front that made this easy.

Fowler267 likes this.
  9. rhpierce

I've done that with plastics, yes...but even with that, 20 feet of cord on the keel is a pain.

Probably go the other route...use the H-style anchors and wrap the cords around them...unwrap what I need and half hitch around the anchor.

wingmatt likes this.
  10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

How is 20 feet of line on a 12 inch keel more a pain than 20 feet of line on a 6 inch weight.

Half hitch the decoy keel, get a depth adjuster (https://tanglefree.com/collections/rigging-line-accessories/products/depth-adjusters), use decoys with line slots. Avians and Avery are good for this. I'm speaking from experience, the more hardware you have, the more a pain things will be.

What I have done in those circumstances is that I have a few decoys on longline snap (very tight to the keel) and I will snap those those to other decoys, essentially mini longlines with 2-4 decoys.