Decoy Forum Sponsors

What weights do you use

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by cholt, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Dang it, y'all run some heavy weights. I can't imagine 16oz (or more) weights. I've never hunted tidal areas though.

2. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

H weights unwind themselves, that's how. I didn't find the depth adjusters that helpful but maybe I could use an education there.

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

H weights deploy fast but suck to pick up.

GUNNERX2 and RTIC like this.
  4. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Short lines (6' or less), 4 oz. strap weights- no tides in the Glades, mostly shallow and lots of veggies. Longer lines when on the big lake.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I used to use strap weights, especially in NV. No moving water. After I got here, and started hunting rivers (with floating grass) I went to a J-Weight mold I got on here, probably about 8-10 oz. It is a rocky river, and the J shape seems to hold better. I wrap those decoys, and the J works for the final wrap/hook.

I just got those Dakota's, and they came with Texas Rigs. I gotta say, I do like them set up that way. I only use them in slack water tho.

6. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

About 3 years ago I bought some J-Hooks-8 oz weights from a member here. His prices were very good! Anyone remember this member- I've lost his info. Thanks Kenny

7. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Yes, they deploy quick! And for incoming tides will self-adjust. Picking up is a little of a pain, but I can bring one in and wind it up 3 times quicker than wrapping around deke hulls!!!

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

By the time you pull up the weight and then wrap the line on it you've burned just as much time as wrapping line on the keel. Not to mention the line can get tangled piling it in the boat until you get the weight. Been there, done that.

H weights suck in a tidal current or if there is much wind/wave action, Where I hunt its common to have wind and waves and when you add tidal current it turns into a cluster. It's common to have 20+ mph wind on almost every hunt and I hunt in 30-50 mph wind whenever we get it. Any weight drags in that other than a longline with a heavy grapnel. The H weights roll until all the line is out and can cause tangles. If you half hitch them to prevent them letting all the line out but then you have to go adjust them when the water comes up. Another thing that sucks about H weights is you really have no idea how much line to let out before putting the half hitch around the weight. It's easy to end up with lines too short to hit bottom or let out so much that you risk tangles. With other weights you unwind the line off the keel until it hits the bottom roll off a few extra wraps and then half hitch. Much easier and many fewer tangles. J weights hold well and strap weights can be bent to grab just as well or better. Just my experiences with H weights.

J weights, strap weights or a longline with grapnel for deeper water and egg or bank sinkers for Texas rigs or similar.

hunting1 and Fowler267 like this.
  9. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Anywhere from 4 oz eggs on 4ft Texas Rigs to 16oz mushrooms on 40 ft river blocks.

P

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

20190213_200754.jpg
    20190213_201750.jpg
    Pretty typical rig around here. Custom mold, just a pyramid with a hole all the way through the center. Tie a knot in the end of the line to keep it from coming through the weight. Just pour the amount of lead in the mold for the size weight you want. Duck weights are typically about a pound, geese a pound and a half or so. The line is heavy tarred braided nylon crab pot line. I dont know of anyone that uses long lines. Everybody uses singles. Guys tie from a couple dozen to a couple hundred decoys. Nobody really wraps decoys either. Just stack them in the boat. That heavy line helps keep tangles to a bare minimum. Just pick the decoy up grab the line and shake it a few times and any other lines usually fall off.

Billy Bob likes this.