Decoy Forum Sponsors

What weights do you use

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by cholt, Nov 17, 2017.

1. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Im also working on offering the bungees for the J weights. Just waiting for my shipment to arrive.

2. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Not for me, and I've done both. No tangles and much quicker on the H weights. We must be doing it differently?

[/QUOTE]=H weights suck in a tidal current or if there is much wind/wave action, Where I hunt its common to have wind and waves and when you add tidal current it turns into a cluster. .... The H weights roll until all the line is out and can cause tangles. .[/QUOTE]

Tidal currents are where 90% of my boat hunting is. They do just fine, better than my experience with other weights. I do make sure I have heavier H weights on my magnum dekes, no problems. I don't space my dekes too close together, so I have very few issues of tangles. If people want to decide on which is best for them, they should try each type a time or two. For me it is a no-brainer now. I guess for you there were some other observations. I just know it took awhile, but I finally got rid of all my other type weights (melting into H weights).

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

You must hunt spots that are sheltered with current that isn't comparable to the conditions I hunt most of the time. At several places I hunt a dog can't swim against the current, they get pulled down current, swim to shore and walk back up the bank with the bird. That's where the idea of the grapnel anchor and longline came from. Like I said in my earlier post, almost every hunt is in moderate wind and that is even when there is no tidal current. Another thing I dislike about the H weights is when I diver hunt in areas full of vegetation they are harder to pick up because they pull up a lot of vegetation and it has to be pulled off the weight. I use bank sinkers in those areas to get the same effect as creedsduckman with his pyramids which I will probably start changing my single divers to. Gravel or sand bottom is always J or strap weights unless I need the longline.

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I don't own any but I believe 4 oz. I would offer 2,4,6 and maybe 8 or larger. Some people may use them on open shallow water and need bigger then average weights?

5. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Ive ordered a 6 and 8 ounce mold. I’ve found 2,3,4 and 5 ounce mold also i will pick up shortly. I figure start with those.

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

I used to use the strap style weights that you would wrap around the neck or keel when storing then went to J weights. I found some of the Banded brand U weights with bungees on sale and tried them. They are great. Best weights I've ever tried. Hold well in all kinds of bottoms. They are like a J weight, but a whole lot easier to take off the keel since it's long on both sides (this is the shape- \_/). Found with J weights I had a hard time pulling them off when wrapped tight with bungees since I've got 30' of line on the keel; they would bury up in the wrapped line. Going to the farm and mill out a mold in aluminum to make some more during the off season.

RTIC and Billy Bob like this.
  7. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

So are those weights worth a darn in your mind?

Anyone else want to help me figure out what the half hitch is?

8. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

Word of experience...if you do use bungees on your weights, be sure to keep an eye on how much line you've wrapped. I had one hung on a tree top (river was up). I can usually pull hard, then release, and the bungee snap it down and it will be free. Was pulling and didn't think about the 25' I had already wrapped. Pulled hard to get it free in 1' of water, came out like a rocket and POW, huge cut right below my lower lip, hit so hard it cut my gum too. Wife was hunting with me and said it sounded like a .22 went off. Bled all over the place. Just something to keep in the back of you mind if using bungees.

RTIC likes this.
  9. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

We leave our decoys out all season, in a 7-10 mph current. Water fluctuates 3-4 ft. depending on rain. Our anchors are 8-10 lb. window sash weights on each duck and goose decoy. We have about 2000 lbs. avalible, depending on how big of spread we have out.. usually 4 doz. Canada decoys and 5 doz. duck decoys. Don't lose to many every season, think about one or two a season.

rhpierce likes this.
  10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

No, I wouldn't waste my time with those.

I googled half hitch and they're showing something totally different than I do. It's possible it's the wrong name but everyone I know that uses it calls it a half hitch. It's not really a knot, it's more of a twisted loop put over the end of the keel that slides until the slack is pulled out. The end that goes to the anchor goes under the line going to the keel and it sort of locks it.

Grab yourself a decoy and try figuring it out, it won't take long. Super simple but impossible for me to explain. :l Once you figure out the loop over the keel I think you'll forget about winding line on the weight.