what's with your governor

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Dean Nelson, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

So what's the deal with your Governor vetoing the concealed carry bill? Seems odd thing to do considering what state he is in and the direction many states are going.

2. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

It is hard to believe that the so called "intelligent" politicians think that concealed carry permits will keep people who intend to break the law honest. The people of SD spoke through the elected representatives and senators only to have Gov. cupcake veto the bill. Disgusting. Lots of folks are displeased with him regarding this and some other state legislation regarding jail time and drug sentencing. Word is he has no aspirations for higher office, idk...

3. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

He's not running for re-election so.......

BB-Shot likes this.
  4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

This exactly. I was in Fargo over the weekend and my brother and I were discussing how ND and SD had similar carry bills this year and I was explaining to him how I figured our governor is only conservative when it suits him.

BB-Shot likes this.
  5. Dean Nelson

Yeah our new governors only real fight so far is on the fact he doesn't want to get paid.:doh Looks like they are finally going to play along and make is annual salary one doller for each year between now and 2020.

6. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

Not that I think it will matter with or without. But, calling our CC process burdensome is laughable. Pay your $10, have the Sheriff look at your record, and get your permit. If that screening process stops a few folks from getting a CC and instant access to a handgun (versus the 48 hour wait), I don't see the issue. Bad people are going to do bad things no matter what, but a small screening isn't the end of the world to me.

BirdJ likes this.
  7. Cattail Sunrise

Cattail Sunrise Senior Refuge Member

Anyone can carry a firearm out in the open. You don't need to have a permit to open carry a firearm. You only need the concealed carry permit if you want to hide that firearm when out in the public.

You basically just need to have $10, 5 minutes and be alive to get a concealed carry permit in South Dakota.

8. Dean Nelson

Maybe in SD but that's not true everywhere.