When Men were Men

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CurrencyTrader, Sep 12, 2018.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'm as caught up in the past as anyone, but I also appreciate the perks of the present. I am very concerned for the future because I see little which makes me wish I could live forever. We have too many people on this earth today, and that will only get worse. Eventually technology won't be able to prevent nature correcting the problem, and it'll be ugly. Long before then, the things which make me happy will no longer exist.

dwhauss, Sunklands, JP and 10 others like this.
  2. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

I'm kinda w/ Cooksey. Our societies have evolved to meet the challenge of what is becoming an over crowded planet. Science , has thus far, improved the physical quality of our lives. However, IMO, the psychological aspects of our lives have suffered in proportion to the complexity of our society,the size of government and the loss of privacy. Look around and you see a quiet and sometimes not so quiet desperation in your neighbors and your communities. Except for the fact of prevalent racism, I think the 50's and 60's were a good time to be hanging around.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Amen, penicillin killed bugs and cigarettes were safe.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Much like the fact that one of the keys to this article is that getting a deer even a doe was a big enough deal to make the paper back then. Hell even seeing them was a big deal then where as most of us could probably fill a pickup bed with deer in an afternoon just about anywhere now.

5. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

I like a combo, I like the advances in tech and science....but I sure do miss the days of tough people that faced life head on, and knew blood washes off a bus with a garden hose and a sponge and so it wasn't anything to be worked up about, offended, the need to call for the guy to be executed, or the battle cry for more safe spaces.....

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

That’s why I live every day like it might be my last.

F30BE4F0-C949-4F5E-AA8B-8E80C752340C.jpeg

7. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

That's a deep thought...but I'm not sure we haven't peaked and going a bit backwards right now.

8. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

hard to believe deer were not so prevalent not so long ago. I remember hearing my grandfather and others talking about what a big deal it was to get a deer or two growing up on a farm in southern IL. now they are everywhere and are considered as much as a nuisance as much as they are a prized trophy to many

9. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Yep, it was a big deal.

This is the picture of the Refuge Gang in days gone by.
    upload_2018-9-13_20-18-34.png

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

When I was growing up in the 60"s it was a rarity to see a deer. Moose, bear, turkeys, and coyotes were almost never seen and bobcats were scarce. Now, seeing multiple bear, plenty of deer, turkeys, the occasional moose, coyotes, and bobcats are frequently seen throughout the year. All this is a big plus. Unfortunately, today everyone seems to be in a hurry, people can't do something without checking their schedule, and many don't have the family get together's like they used to. The "good old days" might not have been that great, but it was a simpler time and it might be nice to have some of that now days.

widgeon, auto5, newduk and 1 other person like this.