When Men were Men

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CurrencyTrader, Sep 12, 2018.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Well, that sort of regression wouldn’t be without precedent, considering the freedom and prosperity of a democratic Roman republic in Western Europe was followed by the oppression and suffering of feudal oligarchies. But I think we’ve made good progress in the last few hundred years- slavery being all but abolished worldwide is a big step in human progress.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I wonder if it was harder to get a deer back then because there were less deer or more open spaces for them to hide in?

auto5 likes this.
  3. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

There were a lot less deer in the location that picture was taken. Can you guess why there were no young men in that picture?

4. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

And women were women. BTW, this picture was taken in Wisconsin in case you are wondering where all the Wi women get their good looks.

upload_2018-9-13_21-19-47.png

JP likes this.
  5. Lovetogun

Lovetogun Refuge Member

One thing that always comes to mind when I hear a topic like this is the fact that when I drive to work in the mornings and get behind a school bus, the bus stops at each driveway, one kid standing there with a parent or maybe a sister or brother, when it's raining they sit in the car. I'm only 40 but when I went to school, all the kids on the street stood on the same corner, rain or shine, we'd have a scuffle now and then, make up and carry on. Times were definitely different, everyone knew everyone and we didnt have all the craziness. We also didnt have all this news constantly pushing all the negativity on the tv, burning thoughts in to people's minds, making copycats and feeding ridiculous ideas in to children and even adults as social media does. Deer camp and your hunting buddies were treasured but these days there are a lot of A-holes out there, people fighting over spots and stealing each others stands. We have more deer and more people but less area to hunt. Every year properties get smaller and smaller. It's a natural force to contend for space and it's only going to get worse. Turn the tv off and spend all the time ya can outside.

riverrat47 likes this.
  6. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had to argue this with some of my friends. In my opinion, the percentage of “A-holes” is a temporal and spatial constant. It’s just the A-holes and idiots may have more of a voice now as well as those complaining about them.

The_Duck_Master and Lovetogun like this.
  7. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

This is the picture of the Refuge Gang in days gone by.
    View attachment 191498 [/QUOTE]
    That pic is obviously photo shopped. No way they could kill that many deer without any camo or barrel stickers. Plus, the guy on the far left, the guy in the center, and the guy second from the right are the same guy. (Old SXS, maybe)?:D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

My guess would be they were off fighting for their country.

riverrat47 likes this.
  9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I wonder if more deer are killed by vehicles per year than by hunters?

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

We just had VERY few deer in the 60s and 70s. By the mid 80s they were beginning to show more, but if we saw one it was unique enough to mention it in church.