When Men were Men

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CurrencyTrader, Sep 12, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

60s and 70s in N. Alabama, I hear killing one got your name on the front page of every news paper in a 5 county radius.

2. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Refuge Member

Anyone know why that was the case? More natural predators, less food, different habitat?

I get a chuckle out of folks who get all excited seeing a deer since I see them every day, but that hasn’t always been the case (as this thread makes clear).

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

In my part of the world deer and turkey were virtually wiped out prior to wildlife management coming to be.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I recall my grandfather taking the grandkids and great grand kinds by the site of his one room school house several miles from the family farm and the walls to and from school no matter what the weather conditions were until he got old enough for his father to allow him to ride a horse. He said very seldom did snow bring a closure to the school. He went on to tell us in so many words how spoiled the generations were now and how times have changed.

Lovetogun likes this.
  5. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

I can imagine an old plains Indians telling the younger men in the tribe the same thing when they first started riding horses. :dv

6. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

And the old warriors telling the first generation to have rifles: we didn't need those fancy firesticks to kill a buffalo- we used our bows and arrows. And the generation before that saying they didn't need a fancy bow and arrow - just a spear...and so on.

auto5 likes this.
  7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Buffalo jumps were a pretty neat tool to kill a lot of buffalo.

8. Minn ducker

Minn ducker New Member

When I was in highschool in the mid 60’s, I played football so we had practice every weekday after school. But in the morning, my buddy’s dad would drop us off at whichever picked cornfield he had scouted for mallards the night before. We would hopefully kill some ducks, then would be out on the gravel road to catch the bus for school. His dad would swing by the bus garage later in the morning and pick up our ducks. We’d put our guns in our hallway locker at school. The superintendent was a duck hunter and would catch us between classes to get a report from that morning. I know he killed ducks in some of those same fields in the afternoons.

Sault Ste. Marie and Fowler267 like this.
  9. marshwater

marshwater New Member

I live in an area of Texas that was country. With all the Cali and n.y. businesses moving in it ain't no mo'. Where I used to shot geese is a high school. I came to a favorite Dove field and it was a started housing development. When growing up in n.c. I had a running contest with a boy (about 7th grade) on who could shoot,er excuse me, harvest the most squirrels. Before school, after school no matter. My dad would buy a case of sears roebuck Dove loads and I would come home and hit the fields. A reward from neighbors because I would get off the bus and on a tractor to plow, disc, drag and plant millet, corn and haul hay till and sometimes after dark.my dad brought home a pointer and pup when I was 12. I got the pup if I trained the dog. Talking about b b guns, we had b b gunfights. Actually shot each other. I remember getting in a metal trash can and hearing the ping of bb's hitting it. We knew better than shooting at parked cars so we would lie down and shoot their feet. I hunted more by myself than with someone(daddy was a truck driver). We all carried big pocket knives to school( how else to carve initials in desks). I actually carried small snakes in my pocket or in winter baby squirrels in coat pockets. I would have been on most wanted list for the things I did back in 65-69 now. But growing up then was the absolute best for kids. Saddle a horse and leave at 6 and not be seen till dark, campouts with 8 or ten guys, eating stolen melonsb or eggs or occasionally chickens. I do miss those days and would love my grand kids living them.

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

What do you call a 300lb gurl from Wisconsin...?

Anorexic!

GUNNERX2 likes this.