When Men were Men

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CurrencyTrader, Sep 12, 2018.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Many make the mistake that society always evolves upward.

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Rome long lost it's status as a Republic before the Dark Ages. When it's cities gained political power, the Republic was supplanted by the Empire and Caesar. Constantinople was starting to ascend Rome when the Bubonic Plague wiped out ~40% of that city's population in ~30 days causing the survivors to flee and spread it all the way to the Atlantic coast. So, Mother Nature/Deep State probably knows when a good pandemic is necessary. We may well live to see what life in 1870 was actually like.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

In 1940 the deer herd in Alabama was estimated at 12,000 animals. In 1970 it was at 2,000,000. Poaching laws with teeth and changing timber practices (clearcutting) in LA (lower alabama) largely contributed to this change.

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Reckon my year range is off then. FIL was telling me stories of someone in his family making the paper for it (in a good way).

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

They still made the paper in the early 70’s as deer hunting was just starting to gain more popularity. North Alabama had fewer deer per square mile but better quality animals as the wildlife department imported a substantial number of “blue deer” from Wisconsin/Michigan and released in a couple counties that border Tennessee. They had the “blue” reference due to a darker coat and didn’t get the orangish hue in warmer months like the indigenous Virginia whitetail.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

they were off in the big one, wwii

7. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

You are right in a qualitative sense, but I think your numbers are be off. I'm thinking Alabama would have been around 500,000 then. Mississippi was the first southern state after Texas to crack a million -in the late 70s I think.

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Those numbers were published by the Alabama Wildlife Department back in the late 1990’s.

When I was transferred to Tulsa (1988) the ODWC estimate of the deer herd was ~450,000 animals. The kill in Alabama that year was ~750,000 animals. The gun season in Alabama was ~75 days with a one (1) buck per day limit and no limit for does.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Don't forget your talking of the post Depression Era, we may call it poaching now but back then if you had a family to feed you did what you had to. WWII meat rationing didn't help either, people were going to eat meat regardless of what the government said.

payton likes this.
  10. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

07F7AEC4-3D7F-4683-80BF-0C50D4FFCE44.png
    Think I remember you.

dwhauss, JP, GUNNERX2 and 2 others like this.