Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

When you need artificial snow

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Fsbirdhouse, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

The wife and Son (And eventually me) got involved in a crafting business years ago. As the son got old enough to go to college he dropped out, but as I had bought all the tools the wife and I continued on with it until last year. We made Rustic Barnwood Birdhouses (Hence the name). Simple Birdhouses quickly progressed to themed product with pine trees, wildlife, fish, and the Four Seasons. This created a need to apply artificial snow on many of them. Nothing but 'commericial' snow was tough enough to hold up, but applying it and machines to do so quickly was to pose and interesting dilemma. The cheapest Snow machine was about $300. However, after a bit of experimentation I found a dirt cheap and just as good a way to add snow to our products. You can buy all the parts for about $20. Simple as can be.
    1) Tin flour sifter with crank handle
    2) Freezer bag (Zip lock)
    3) Mister (Spray bottle)
    4) Very small bungee

Cut off wooden handle on sifter right close to handle. Straighten out remaining rod as pictured.
    Fill Ziplock bag with Commercial grade snow. I use Purcel Snow from Colorado.
    Bungee Snow filled Ziplock to top of sifter. Attach any drill/cordless best to straightened rod and watch out! Snow does not blow around at all, but drops out very fast under power.
    You can actually flock a full sized live tree over a drop cloth in place in your own living room in about ten to fifteen minutes without any snow mess. Snow contains it's own water activated adhesive. So you pre-spray area to be flocked. IMG_0963 (1).JPG IMG_1772 (1).JPG
    Learn what speed to run drill and you can control depth of snow. Experiment.

Wildthings and cholt like this.
  2. Wildthings

Wildthings Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for this great info. What is Purcell Snow from Colorado? Link?

3. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

https://pursellmfg.com/shop/flock-and-supplies/pinnacle-flock-25lb-bag/

The actual commercial grade flocking is called Pinnacle from this company.

Sorry misspelled Pursell. You'll get a kick out of the prices this, and every other company want to sell flocking machines for. They turn on their machines and the tree and every other thing in range gets flocked top and bottom of every branch.
    When it falls out of sifter, it simply falls the way natural snow falls. Straight down on top of branch, or object. IMG_1679 (1).JPG IMG_1680 (1).JPG View attachment 188929 IMG_1677 (1).JPG IMG_1495.JPG