Where To Live?

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Honker Ace, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Might have something to do with them pouring 30 foundations at a time!:reader they are not slowing down much anywhere near me and I see they have the heavy equipment in yesterday to start on a bunch more concrete work. These guys are putting up damn near whole neighborhoods at once. Hell look at the new one down on burleigh Ave where half the houses were going in before they got the damn roads put in!

2. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

No matter where you live in ND ... you often drive some distance to hunt and fish (albeit driving much less now for fishing than long ago). One can easily drive 100 - 300 miles round trip on a typical day hunt.

3. Dean Nelson

Second day in the mid 70's here.....doesn't look quite so warm out in your neck of the woods.:dv All the snow is now gone including about 90% of the big drifts and I'm about 5 days out from having to start mowing with the grass coming online so fast this year.

4. Honker Ace

Honker Ace New Member

Oh, rub it in...We are nearly at a balmy 50 degrees right now though. Not that there's much to do outside though between the mud, remaining snow you immediately sink in, flooded brooks, or iced-over rivers and ponds. :z River should let go in the coming days as we are supposed to get up around 60 for a few days at least, snow has been going fairly quick so with any luck later this week will get some brook fishing in as they start to level off.

5. Honker Ace

Honker Ace New Member

Just thought you might like to know Dean, woke up to a few inches of the fluffy white stuff covering the ground again this morning...More forecasts of the same a couple different days. Temp has yet to climb high enough to melt it off, either. Between starting my winter with the freak mid-October snowstorm during my time in Saskatchewan to now, it has felt like one long winter...

6. Dean Nelson

Yeah my lily's are only 6 inches high yet and about the same for my grass.:dv actually been decently cold and raining the last few days but did get our first round of decent thunderstorms the other night.
    [​IMG]

7. Honker Ace

Honker Ace New Member

Well, the first round of applications started going out beginning last night. Got busy with a couple classes and that stalled getting them out but it is finally happening.

As for the weather, finally seeing the cold end. Even at the beginning of this week things were still quite cool, although we finally have broken through with rainy, humid weather that began near the end of this week and has resulted in 60 degree days. Ice on the ponds looks like it is finally going to go, although the lakes still were holding good ice at the beginning of the week, enough they were doing stuff like this still.

Plenty of honkers and ducks moving through, saw a stud widgeon on my way to work the other day and inadvertently almost got a closer look. Spring is finally here for me!

8. Dean Nelson

See your getting a bit of "warmer" weather out there. Hit 91 at the house today and the yard is on it third cutting and if it keeps growing like this I may just say screw it and bale it!:doh smells good in the yard though between the crab apples and apricot trees.

[​IMG]

9. Honker Ace

Honker Ace New Member

Killing me here...It appears I spoke too soon in my last post, out of the last 10 days we have had 3 which cracked 60. Only one of those days had a low that was outside of the 40's. All it has done lately is rain, rain, rain lately - further north yesterday morning woke up to a thin amount of snow. Yet to hit 70, although it has a chance with two warm days on Friday and Saturday but that is follow by three days of rain and in the 50's.

It looked like the farmers were going to have a slightly early start but that has turned into what may be a slightly late start with the rain and cold. Some may have broken ground but the water levels haven't allowed for that, barely have been able to fish any brooks myself and the water remains too high and murky for much of anything on the bigger water. Earlier this week saw we had already gotten over 3 inches of rain this month, while we average about 1/3 of that. Blossoms are non-existent here and won't be for a while, you are well ahead of us as I am prepared for our first mowing sometime this weekend if it ever dries out enough.

Job prospects heating up, sent everything out to the first choice and am now getting ready to send more. Also reached out to a contact downstate and may have something there as well...If the pay is right I may just take that to finish my CPA and then worry about moving afterwards. We shall see.

10. Dean Nelson

Yeah been in the upper 60's low 70's last few days but low to mid 80's for the next few days and that should all but do it for the trees getting there leaves out. Bass and blue gills are now switching to there summer patterns and moving shallow so top water action has been fun and the boys are pulling in lots of eyes on the river with a surprising number of slobs for what I was expecting. Buds have been out picking morels the last few days although I think it's working out to about one mushroom for every five ticks so definitely keeps a guy busy on two fronts.