Who can be rehabilitated??

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Jan 15, 2019.

1. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Yep.

I have a guy that cleans up the front of my business for me once a week. He grew up around here and was in and out of jail most of his life. Great guy, would give you the shirt off of his back when he wasn't on the dope but when the drugs took over... 20 years ago, I would have bet money that this guy wouldn't be alive today.

He came to me one time and told me that he just got out, needed some money and wanted to know if there was anything that he could do around the store to earn a few bucks. I asked him why he needed the money. He told me that he was living back at a friend's house and everyone who lived there or ever stepped foot in there was an addict and he was trying to scrounge up enough money to put a deposit on a place across town and get away from all of that because he didn't want to go back to jail. I found a few odd jobs for him here and there and he moved out of the neighborhood but kept coming back every week (riding the bus) to clean the front of the building, wash windows, etc. Few months go by and he asks me if I can loan him some money so that he can buy a truck (apparently, his landlord found out what he was doing for me and started having him do yards and maintenance on a few of his rental properties as well and riding the bus wasn't cutting it). I gave him the loan and he made every payment on time. I even gave him an old mower and blower that I found buried in my garage (traded him a few odd jobs for them)... That was about 10 years ago. His yard/maintenance business keeps him busy and pays all the bills and he even got married a few years ago. The wedding/reception was a little awkward because my wife and I were the only white people there and every single one of his family members made it a point to thank me for all that I'd done for him (and I really didn't do much, just gave him a little work and a small loan)...

I guess my point is that a lot of addicts who many think can't be "rehabilitated" can be. Usually it just takes a combination of the right environment and someone willing to take a chance on them.

2. J.Bennett

In some cases, there are some serious tax incentives for hiring them as well.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

You left out one thing it "takes". That's the will to get off that mess.

J.Bennett likes this.
  4. J.Bennett

Very true.

5. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

To end up in prison, you have to have screwed up many, many times to eventually end up there, or screw up really big to end up there the first time. Why would a business want to take a chance on hiring someone that makes so many poor choices in their life, or one really bad choice that should have been easy to figure out in the first place. Many people make it to the "little house" and learn from their mistakes. Personally I would not take a chance on anyone coming out of prison. There are lots of people out their looking for jobs that haven't made it to the "Big House" and are more deserving.

Wood-Dro likes this.
  6. J.Bennett

A tax credit in the amount of 40% of their wages comes to mind...

7. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

everybody is addicted to something. we are all seeking a rush of dopamine; it makes us human. some people just get theirs from a substance; I ain’t gonna judge.

seiowa likes this.
  8. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

Part of the problem with folks re-offending is that they get out of prison and go straight back to the same old neighborhood, friends and associates that put them in to begin with.
    Defeating that cycle can produce rehabilitated people but most don't get an opportunity. You're a good man for trying to provide an opportunity for real change for some of them but let them know the rules and stand by your rules. They will be used to structure and need it.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  9. Matejka

Matejka Senior Refuge Member

" You cannot understand a man until you understand the circumstances that made him what he his "
    You lay with dogs you get fleas period.

Most troubled individuals dont honestly scratch the surface of what has made them what they are during incarceration and like others said go right back to the hood and or the dysfunctional F*#!*d up families. Most can be rehabilitated if they really want to. Exception i believe are the chimos.......warm place in hell for them.I say kill em. Ask the perspective employees some personal questions about what got them there, goals and such and look deep into their eyes for the sh#t to bubble up. You will find some good ones.

BigSkyDuk likes this.
  10. J.Bennett

No doubt, this can big obstacle for them to overcome (even for those who really want to turn things around). Tough to get out of a situation if you can't get hired and save enough to get out of it.

bullpinnie likes this.