Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Who has a marsh rat?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Boot, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Boot

Boot New Member

I'm wanting a small layout boat, to use sometimes in the swamp, and sometimes in the lake. I'd like it to fit in the back of my truck, and I would like it to be able to use a small outboard motor so I can get across a lake without paddling for an hour. I have looked at most every layout style boat I can find online, and keep coming back to buying a marsh rat magnum. For those of you who have one, is it worth the investment? Is it stable enough to be comfortable in a lake? Does it hide well enough to not look like a boat? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

How does a motor mount on that thing? Looks nice enough though, certainly shouldn't be hard to hide. I'd define more of what you mean as far as comfort in a lake, are you planning on running it across a lake in 3' white caps, open water hunting out of it, or just occasionally crossing 1' rollers for 100 yards to get to the other side...

A boat that peaked my interest was the Riverhawk duck call, 10' long, 52" beam, pretty vertical sides so I could see the bottom width being essentially the same. Just to throw an oddball option in.

I used a Beavertail final attack, here's a video on me running it with a 1998 8hp 2 stroke Evinrude. Beginning is a bit of horsing around, the one setting was just to see what kind of roostertail I could throw. I fished and hunted out of this, musky fishing, throwing frogs in the pads for largemouth, all standing up, 44" wide.

Sorry I can't give any specifics about your boat, but it's good to get views and posts on the thread, keep it relevant and at the top.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

That is as slick as whale snot.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I have a 10 foot marsh rat (different company- but same exact design). When I bought it I weighed 185, and it was great for me.

I still feel safe in it, but she's riding a little lower in the water, if ya catch my drift. Still very stable. I am considering building a bracket for a 2hp outboard for it.

In this and in canoes- I only paddle from a kneeling position. Lowers the center of gravity considerably.

5. Boot

Boot New Member

I won't be out in storms or Whitecaps. I will have to deal with boat wakes though. My son in law got me hooked on duck hunting a few seasons ago. I'm not even sure what all I need exactly. Last year I hunted some swamps, a county refuge for a charity hunt, and down at lake Seminole. The marsh rat magnum can be fitted with a 2hp motor mount, and I'm looking at a Suzuki 2hp outboard to go with it. I've only managed to amass a few dozen decoys so far. My line of thinking is that I could hide better in the swamp with the layout boat, and if it's stable enough I could hunt the lakes with it. I noticed later in the year at Seminole, the ducks (and coots) would all stay away from the edges of the lake, and only land out in the water. They were well out of reach from any shotgun on the bank. The ducks also steered clear of islands, and large patches of reeds/grass. I was hoping I could use the layout boat with the 2hp motor to hunt out in the open water of the lakes, but camo it enough to look like a drift or deadwood in the lake.

6. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

I have a marsh rat magnum and an old 4 rivers teal chaser--they are almost identical. We can hide in next to nothing.. I have a backwater ultra light 4.5hp longtail on my magnum. It will go through really skinny water but if the cattails get too thick the blunt shape of the nose will bring it to a halt. Max speed is 7-8 mph My buddy is probably #300 and he hunts out of one just fine.