Who shoots SxS or O/U?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Delta G, Sep 27, 2005.

1. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I have shot quite a few ducks with my late Beretta 682 Super Sporting with Bismuth loads. It is a lot of fun. However, dropping it in the swamp is a real bummer, where I never batted an eye with my ugly camo auto duck guns. :D

2. G.Loomisman

G.Loomisman Elite Refuge Member

I have a gold stalker 3" and a Citori 525 field. For me they both shoot great and point awsome.

3. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

My primary sporting clays gun is a Perazzi MX2000 with 34 inch barrels. I can’t imagine taking it duck hunting although I do take it dove hunting all the time. It’s only chambered for 2 ¾ and has fixed 15/32 chokes. I have taken my backup gun which is an SKB 85TSS with 32 inch barrels. It’s chambered for 3 inch loads. I do shoot it well in the blind, going 6 for 8 on one occasion. Generally though I grab my Xtrema for my waterfowling pursuits. It does a much better job of managing recoil and like having a 3rd shot when you get a sailer.

4. hunt-ducks

hunt-ducks Senior Refuge Member

I have a safe full of shotguns but over the years this is what I have used and use, my dove and quail gun being a Beretta 686 Onyx or my new Ruger SxS in 28ga, my duck gun was either a 870 3" wingmaster or a 11-87 super mag do to a right shoulder that needs replacement I just bought a new 11-87 3" with there new gas system light gun with a very low recoil, I also shoot a 1100 410 skeet gun and a md 12 28ga skeet, retired in the safe are a Ithica mag 10 and a Win. md 12 3" duck gun that used to be the main stays back in the lead days.

5. Quackup

Quackup Moderator Moderator

I shoot a Browning Citori Satin Hunter for ducks, geese, turkey and pretty much everything else. I took it dove hunting this year just because I had a bunch of 1oz trap loads made up. Usually I shoot a Daly 20ga O/U for quail, doves and at the game farms. Both were made by Miroku. For trap it's a Perazzi MX8 32" I've shot since the 70's.

The few times I've tried to shoot a SxS I couldn't hit squat with them. It was probably a matter of fit.

6. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I find it odd that you have a Ruger SxS in 28 ga. when they don't make a Ruger SxS (Gold Label) in 28 ga. Only 12 ga. Here is an article from Guns and Ammo from April of this year.

The Gold Label obviously isn't the company's first shotgun (the Red Label O/U has been around since 1977), so it doesn't represent Ruger's maiden voyage into the smoothbore market. The Gold Label is currently available in 12 gauge only (much to the frustration of those who are salivating for a 20 or 28).

7. moduks

moduks Senior Refuge Member

Remington 1889 sxs in the timber and

Emilio Rizzini 12 guage o/u as meat gun

8. hunt-ducks

hunt-ducks Senior Refuge Member

Gander

Bought the gun used with a set of tubes and a straight stock.

Let me tell you I did shoot a 28ga factory gun about 18 mo ago at a shooting fair no SS receiver all blue my gun is about 6.3/4 and the 28 was about 6lbs, I was disapointed it did not have auto ejectors.

9. 2Woodies

2Woodies Elite Refuge Member

I shoot an Xtrema for ducks and geese, and usually shoot my old 1100 with a fixed MOD bbl for doves.

I've been thinking about getting an O/U for a couple of months now, I just can't decide what I want. I'm a little confused about O/U's because I can't figure out where the 3rd shell goes. :confused: :no

I'll probably wait until next year anyway as I am going to buy my little boy a new Beretta AL391 youth model 20 gauge for Christmas. I think it will be cool to tell him he got his first shotgun when he was 6 months old. :tu

10. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

I started out shooting a Savage 20 ga 3" sxs about 40 yrs ago i bought bigger and fancier guns but found I shot o/u's and sxs's better. Now I have only 2 shotguns. I have a Stoeger uplander 20 ga and Ive killed grouse, ducks, geese, cranes very well. I learned that close is where I want them and they fall dead. Never a problem. I upgraded and went to a 12 ga Stoeger o/u longfowler with 30" barrels. Both Stoegers have shot very well for me and me shooting percentage is much better with these two than any pumps or autos I've used in the last 40 yrs. If you shoot 2 shooters well... Enjoy em.

WoodieSC likes this.