Who shoots SxS or O/U?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Delta G, Sep 27, 2005.

1. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

5F69BC4C-1523-4CF9-B51F-DCD4F49D4659.jpeg F14256CB-EBF1-461A-9638-954EA067B958.jpeg The OP is no longer with us. He’s probably smiling down on you now for resurrecting this old thread.

By the way, while I haven’t hunted this year I finished the season last year with these two hunts. All birds taken with 2 of my sxs’s. An Ithaca/SKB 100 12 ga and a NID 10 ga sleeved by Briley for 3” 12 ga.

Draht Dog and JP like this.
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

I can't hit the broadside of a barn with my Clitori unless I float the targets which drives me insane, because I 'm a swing through and cover shooter kinda guy. My dream gun is an old Winchester 101, I used to shoot one as a club gun at a duck club I use to hunt and loved the thing. I'd give up the third shot any day for the right 101 although I kill a lot of birds with my third shot. I guess i'm just not as angry at them as I was when I was younger.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I love O/U's and have four of them for clay target shooting. I tried hunting with an O/U once and found out it was not for me. Also tried hunting with a SxS, with similar results. I prefer an autoloader for waterfowl and pigeon hunting, with the pump gun coming in a close second. As far as I'm concerned, the O/U is ideal for clays, and a gas autoloader is ideal for waterfowl and high-volume pigeons.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I'm the exact opposite, love hunting with my SxS's, don't even miss the third shot not being there. Takes me back to a simpler time when things weren't' as rushed as they are today, if that doesn't sound to nostalgia bent..:l

JP and WoodieSC like this.
  5. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I use a Stafano Fausti O/U in 12 3" for ducks and a Winchester SX2 Mag. for geese. My boat gun is an old Fox Stevens with barrels docked to 20" for cripples when after them in boat. Saves dragging a gun out to boat past blind mates.

6. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

My son and daughter use 2 3/4" 12 ga's. I used (until last season) a 3" 20 ga sxs. They were all very equal. When feet dropped and I called "Take em" we were all on an even performance level.
    Last year I got the longfowler 3" 12 ga o/u. I've been using 2 3/4" shells when I'm with the kids so there's no mix ups. When it's just me I load a 2 3/4 in the bottom barrel and a 3" up top. It seems to work well. First shot feet down. Second shot after flare and climbing. So far so good.

Noticed years ago when I had pumps or autos I always seemed to take 3 shots. Usually hail Mary's. Having 2 and only two shots has forced me to pick shots carefully. I'm sure my shooting percentage is better with just 2 barrels. Maybe it's age and patience too.

7. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Whats an NID 10 gauge?

8. 10GAGENUT

NID was just a model name given to certain Ithaca Guns, I'm no expert on them but as far as I know they had the Crass, Lewis, Flues and NID as their main designations years ago. NID is supposed to stand for New Improved Design, which from what I've read the NID was designed by Emil Flues.

9. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info; I have been toying with the idea of 10 SxS; seems like the proper thing to have if we're going to go nostalgia style....normally I shoot Browning Gold 10 or 12 for waterfowl

10. 10GAGENUT

Only downside to that is finding one that doesn't have Damascus Barrels on it, 10 gauge SxS's are out there with good steel barrels on them but you'll pay dearly for one. My Baker R Model in 12 gauge has Krupp steel barrels on it and it took me a long time and some money to acquire it.