Who shoots SxS or O/U?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Delta G, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Believe me I have noticed...I'm on the hunt but doing more recon than consideration of buying right now.

2. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

What 10ga said I think. When I bought that NID I read up on it some. I’m no sxs expert. I don’t collect guns.....I buy shooters. It points and shoot great for me. That’s all I ask.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

That's the shooter's fault, not the gun's. Shooting a SxS or O/U doesn't force you to pick your shots more carefully, it just limits you to two shots. (I'm sure you still occasionally take shots you shouldn't have; we all do that, regardless of the guns we shoot.)
    You could do the same by simply loading two in a pump or autoloader.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

My first shotgun (1962) was a Belgian “Dixie Double” with rabbit ear hammers and beautiful scroll engraving and 30” barrels. As shotguns (for wingshooting) are designed to be pointed in lieu of “aimed”, balance and fit are primary considerations.

Seven seasons ago when I left the dark side and started shooting LH decided to sell the Beretta 686 Waterfowler and the Rizzini 12 gauge as they are RH from the factory and paying hundreds to have the stocks reformed doesn’t always work as the wood can/will return to the original alignment.

Currently, the Citori’s and 101 with their neutral stocks hold top spots in the battery with the 16 gauge as pick of the litter. Although I have shot several triples with repeaters over the past 51 seasons, have lost count of the doubles made with two barrel shotguns. The birds killed with the third shot in a repeater were more often than not the second of a double only because of a miss with the first shot.

I will say that of all the production repeaters ever produced, none fit more hunters and shooters, right out of the box than a model 1100 or Wingmaster 870.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Would add that the AyA’s, Fox’s and Elsie’s have all been sold because of parts availability and steel shot incompatibility. Current shot requirements took precedence over nostalgia.

6. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

Tuleman. You are correct. It doesn't force anything. Shooting is a sport that requires alot of mental skills. In my sick twisted little mind it makes me pick two birds. You first you second, then execute the plan.
    You are 100% correct I could do the same with a pump or auto loading two. So maybe it's just something screwed up in my head. I mispoke them. Sorry.

7. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

I have no pumps or auto loaders in my battery ,all sxs or ou's.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Ditto on both statements, JP.

9. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

LC

A7A8C686-1F54-403F-BE84-BA07D011CB01.jpeg

CZ
    BB05818D-C456-4E84-A32D-893896276B65.jpeg

Fowler267, callinfowl and WestKyHunt like this.
  10. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member