Who shoots SxS or O/U?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Delta G, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Yeah the old girls still got it for sure !!

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Today.

LC, 101 years old.

2 3/4” 4s

EE45BD7E-3D67-47EA-9D32-32D74BB7A6EF.jpeg

3. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

Quality is ageless. Nice.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Don’t you have to shoot the low recoil shells out of an old S x S so the stock doesn’t split near the reciever?

5. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Parker VHE 1911...

[​IMG]

and three brownings...(20 gauge BSS Sporter, 12 gauge Citori and 12 gauge BSS Hunter)...

[​IMG]

Fowler267 and WestKyHunt like this.
  6. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

This thread went dormant 13 years until someone brought it back last year. Only sad thing is Delta G (OP) is no longer with us.

7. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

I noted that Delta G was lost a while back on page 3 when the thread was resurrected. He was a great man to talk with. Enjoyed my conversations with him at the WWA dinners in Bellevue.

8. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

I remember him providing state duck stamps to those who wanted them.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

You don't have to it's up to the owners of the guns, whatever they feel comfortable with. I load my own so I can make them any pressure I want with any shot I want in them.

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a few pigeons and dove... All with an O/U... Either Browning Citori or Winchester 101. I do love that 101, but it has a thin recoil pad, and is not a pleasant gun to shoot with stouter duck loads. I shoot an awful lot of dove and snipe with my 20 ga. Citori as well; in fact I will be taking it out this weekend to shoot some snipe.

I also shoot a few clays, and have a strong preference for an O/U. Overall, I shoot an O/U better. Pigeon shooting, I can kill a lot more birds with an O/U simply cause I am spending less time trying to find and pick up empties (we never, ever leave our empties).

However, I have come to enjoy the light recoil of a gas-operated auto for waterfowl... Admittedly I also enjoy the third shot, and I really get a kick out of making a triple.

And for quail, which I used to like an O/U, I have come to prefer a semi-auto simply due to being able to shoot and load faster... You work all day humping hills, and finally have a covey holding with birds popping up quickly (on a covey you are likely not to see a trace of again), that third shell comes in handy, and I can load and shoot a semi-auto far faster.... On ranches where the owners are really concerned about empties, the O/U goes with me.